Find
Notify
Tools

checkering patterns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello the campfire:
I hope that everyone has a great holiday whatever you celebrate.

I need a source for a good basic checkering pattern. I went to order one from Brownell's and they quit carring them.

I can not fine the old ones I used years ago. I have a stock ready to go and with the long winter nights comming on and being too old to ... you know ... asmuch as I once did, I need something to occupy the mind and keep the hands out of the devils workshop.

Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JS,
You might look at the old Monte Kennedy book Carving and Checkering of Gunstocks. Lots and lots of good pattern ideas, and it's easy to find used. It's written in a 1950's SoCal hep-gunsmith lingo that's worth the price of the book.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks I will look it up.
JS

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge Sharp,
I will tell you what I do. I cover the area I am going to checker with masking tape and draw the pattern on it. I use a diamond (3:1 or 3 1/2:1)made of transparent plastic, xray material will do. lay out the diamond for the master line or the front portion of a point pattern, draw your border and then cut thru the border and remove the inner part of the tape. Deepen the master lines and take off.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it safe to let for a 56 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

We are aging ourselves here Judge......

Great advice from Chic, too.

I still have a few patterns on the templates from Stan de Treville. I couldn't say if they are still available perhaps a Google search could assist......anyway, they are really good and easy to use; even a Mega-Klutz like myself can do a reasonably passable job.

I also find with something as easy as copy paper and a pencil to rub patterns and then using today's new scanners, copiers & such with some computer assistance can really be useful in creating some unique and interesting patterns.

Have fun during the dull, grey winter months!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. I am dipping back into a lot of my old (honest) pasttimes, photography black and white and processing large foremat, stock making, painting, and making the wife mad.
Judge Sharpe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, here's a contact I found for Stan de Treville.

STAN DE TREVILLE-DECAL CHECKERING PATTERNS

Address: 4129 NORMAL ST SAN DIEGO, CA 92103
Voice: 1-619-298-3393 Fax:
Keywords: GUNSMITH TOOLS, STOCKS, DECAL CHECKERING DESIGNS,

I don't know if it is good or not.

Have a Merry Christmas

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote