New
Find
Notify
Tools

springfield mag cutoff
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anybody ever done away with this and contoured the reciever , would like to lighten a springfield and make a sporter this option really isn't needed anymore and confuses most people when they first see it.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Has anybody ever done away with this

What will you use for a bolt stop if you do away with the cutoff lever?

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that the American Custom Gunmakers Guild removed it on the 1903 they customized for their guild raffle rifle a few years ago. I have no clue about what is involved but I have seen one other one that had it done and had a flush fit bolt stop fitted into the left side of the receiver. Looked pretty sharp.

The link below is to the ACGG 35 Whelen 1903 rifle and it describes how they did away with the cut off. I hope this helps.

http://www.acgg.com/18info.htm

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob Owen would streamline the cutoff housing , I can post a picture if interested. I have seen one cutoff done that was spring loaded and you pushed down on it to remove the bolt, the maker escapes me.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Michael

I would appreciate a picture of the housing as Owen did it. It has always amazed me as to how good his stock lines look even today. He was one of the masters without a doubt.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
M1Tanker

I don't want to appear that I do not think the people who put together that particular rifle are not first class craftsmen because they obviously are. However, for my money they totally missed the mark with the rifle they turned out, and not just by changing the cutoff housing, when you read the statement in the link you provided.

The Guild members involved decided to pay tribute not only to the Springfield but also to some of the people who made it a classic sporter of choice. With this in mind, they chose to style it after the great pre-war Griffin & Howe rifles and to chamber it for the famous .35 Whelen cartridge.

That rifle is not very close at all to what a Griffin & Howe rifle looked like. Matter of fact if not for the cocking knob on the firing pin it would be hard to tell it was a Springfield so many things were altered. It even departed from the Springfield triggerguard which has one of the best shapes of any rifle made for my money. To say I was disappointed in that rifle is the understatement of the year.

Here is more like what I was hoping for when I heard it would be styled after the great pre-war Griffin & Howe rifles:

I realize many gunsmiths dislike the Springfield action because of it's high rear bridge caused by the safety lug on the bolt and the cutoff housing and lever. However I like them because they are unique to that rifle. I still think doing much to change the cutoff is an exercise in futility as well as added expense. I myself would far rather spend the money for custom scope mounts or a side swing safety than spend it on remodeling the cutoff.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here's a PDF link to the acg 18... LOTS more pictures
lots of things changed, and it's a fantastic rifle...

tribute to a springfield.. that part is up to the reader

http://www.acgg.com/18brochure.pdf

jeffe

Posts: 38594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Materials and workmanship are first class.

A tribute to the fact that several people seems to have no idea what a classic G&H looks like.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

originally posted by 2mp....

A tribute to the fact that several people seems to have no idea what a classic G&H looks like.

Yep. Missed badly.........considering that was the object of the exercise.

"The #18 was styled after the great pre-war Griffin & Howe rifles and chambered for the famous .35 Whelen cartridge."

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2mp and idared said it, acgg 1903 nothing like a g&h, for the first time in several years I did not buy raffle tickets. Don't like this year's single shot with fake sideplates much either.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vigillinus,

Don't you have a few 03's in the g&h style? I am going to have an 03 built into a 416 Taylor and would like it to look good when done. Any chance you have some pics around?

Thanks!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote