New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom Metal Opinion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We are having three rifles built, a 7x57 on a 1909 Argentine for my wife a 6.5x55 on a 1910 Mexican and a .375H&H on a 1909 Argentine for my self. In Old British Rifle style

Now for the advice,we want all 3 bottom metal to be of the same brand.

Sunny hill makes 06 length with 4 down and .375H&H drop box with for down.

I would prefer 5 down but that means Blackburn drop box mags and that means possible trouble getting them.

How important to any one is 5 down instead of 4? Would 5 be better?

And I know the Mex action will need to have a box shortened.

Suggestions/advice?

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, I have hunted Africa 10 tmes in the past 12 years. Most of those hunts had at least one dangerous specie on the tag. I have hunted with various calibers, including .416 Rem and Rigby, .458 WM, and .375 H&H before getting into doubles(.470 and .500 NE). That said, it is my opinion that the need for these large capacity mags for a bolt action is grossly over stated. Three down and one in the pipe is probably more than you will ever need, in a situation that does not allow for an immediate reload.

As far as shortening the magazine for the 6.5X55, I don't recommend it. Most throats for the Swede are cut very long to accomodate the longer bullets. Therefore, to minimize excessive "jump" to the lands, most reloaders load the Swede to fairly long COL requireing a standard length magazine. I think that if you check, you'll find that most commercial makers build the 6.5X55 on a standard length action.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Allen,
Don't count out the Blackburn product just yet. Ted told me about a week ago that he is in the middle of a large run of M98 bottom metal (all varieties). This doesn't mean that he's days or even weeks away from delivering but it does mean that if he ever gets anything out the door again, it will M98 bottom metal. He's tough to reach at times but I'd call him every week or so until he or Maggie pick up the phone. I hope (for everyone's sake) that your choice is not limited by availability.

Now, as to your question, I like and have used both brands. Both are quality products. I prefer the look of the Blackburn, so I've used it much more. My preference is for four down in a big gun, but I wouldn't fret over having just three down. As Geronomo stated, you'll almost always have a chance to reload.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
All good advice from Geronomo. I personally won't buy anything from Blackburn as being lied to over and over again turns me off, even if they're the only ones who make it. Sunny Hill is more expensive but their quality is excellent and you can get them from several places who stock them.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have met Ted, visited his shop once, have talked to him on the phone, and have purchased his products, both bottom metal and triggers.

I don't consider him a liar, and I don't think he should be called as much here. What he is is no different from a lot of other custom makers, which is an independent old fart who doesn't like to be told what to do or rushed into things. He much prefers to operate on his own time doing things his own way. He can be gruff, thats for sure. But he is also extremely knowlegeable, and if he has time he will answer just about any question you have for him.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My favorite Mdl 70 in 375 H&H has been to Africa at 7 times and used on everything there sucessfully I might say. The stock is a laminate from David Miller. He uses his own style of bottom metal and the semi-inlet was done for that bottom metal. The result was I used the standard bottom and had to reduce the capacity one round as the stock is thinner top to bottom thru that area. His box must be wider. This meant that this rifle only holds two rounds down. I could modify the floorplate and regain the lost round but just have never taken the trouble and actually have never missed the capacity. Quite frankly I would modify the 09 metal and use it myself as it is quite pleasing to the eye. If you want GOOD bottom metal at a reasonable price talk Williams into doing the Mauser. I just got Mdl 70 bottom metal that is the equal of any I've seen, period, and I've had Blackburn and Wisner and Sunny Hill among a couple of others. The last Blackburn was a wait of 14 months for a Mdl 70. I got the Williams in 2 weeks.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe

According to Mr. Turpin Mr. Miller uses Blackburn bottom metal almost exclusively.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm well aware of that to his specs and he can get delivery when no one else can I imagine.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently waited 10 months for Blackburn bottom metal - I won't do that again ...... I'll plan the project so that I can use someone else's bottom metal. That said, when I hunted buffalo in Australia, I used my Ruger .458 Lott, and it only handles three down. If I could get four down, & not five, that wouldn't bother me. I did need the fourth shot on the buffalo, and had to quickly reload. Hence, my opinion, four down is enough (but five would be great).

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason for shorting the bottom metal for 6.5x55 is it will be on a small ring Mexican action I found.

Oh by the way, I found out to day why Cabelas had them (the SR Mex and 1909 Argie) was the came out of a local collection of about 134 guns that Cabelas bought.

I have nothing against Ted at all. I have spoke with him a few times and seemed very nice and knowledgeable.

It's just some times his stuff is available and sometimes its a long wait.

I can have 4 down on all of them with Sunnyhill. I'm not even totally sure if I want 5 down or not.I think I do but I'm still on the fence.

That's the reason for the question. I can get 4 down on all 3 guns or 5 down on all 3 guns.
I wanted to hear some pros or cons for either way. Any disadvantage to 5 down?

As a side note Jim Dubell is helping me scale (well actually he's scaling them Smiler)each LW #5130 barrel for each caliber.

Anyway, 4 or 5 down what would you prefer and why? These 2 guns, 6.5x55 & .375H&H are what I will do most of my hunting with. I sure appreciate the input.

I guess one of my last decisions left is 4 or 5 down.

Allen

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4 down is plenty - wouldn't pay much to have 5 down as opposed to 4.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between a Sunny Hill drop box that holds 4 down and a Blackburn dropbox that holds 5 down? Blackburns regular box holds 4 down either 06 or mag.

How can the Blackburn hold more? Their both drop boxes.

Allen