New
Find
Notify
Tools

trigger gaurd inletting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was going to inlet the trigger gaurd on my model 70 winchester before I applied the poly finish but got to thinking it may stain the wood. I have already stained the wood and thought covering the wood with tape may leave a residue what is your guys normal pratice? thanks Jeremy

Posts: 47 | Location: NW Iowa | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're concerned about inletting black staining the wood, don't be. It doesn't penetrate the wood. Otherwise, a thin curl from a gouge or scraper wouldn't remove it. I find that it's better to do your inletting on the unfinished surface than to try and fight your way through a coat of finish. The inletting black shows up better too.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry ment to say bedding not inletting two differant things jeremy

Posts: 47 | Location: NW Iowa | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mask off the area that you are going to bed with the blue masking tape made by 3M. It won't leave any residue. Any residue that may be left can be removed with mineral spirits.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any excess that oozes out can be removed before it sets, after removing most it will take a little vinegar to clean up the rest.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am wondering why 'bedding' [I]always refers to filling a stock, all or in part,
with epoxy?