New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Lyman Receiver Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My old pre-war model 70 has a Lyman receiver sight "base only". I don't know, but assume this base is nearly as old as the gun, which is an 1936 vintage. Any ideas if the rest of the parts are available and where I should look?

Thanks

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a number on the base?

You'd probably have better luck finding the entire sight on ebay or one of the dealers that specializes in metallic sights.

Which M70 is it, Standard, Match, Target , Super? They show different sights for each in my Gunsights book.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

It's a Standard 30/06

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well then here's where it gets a bit dicey.

Though the gun was made in 1936, the sight may have been added after.

The only Lyman listed as available for that model in 1936 was the #48WJ or WJs, there were three variations, the second being about in your time frame. Is the stock cut away at all to allow for the mounting block?

The third variation was introduced in 1947 and had a curved mounting block so no wood needed to be removed.

In 1938 they introdued the 57W, which was a less expensive alternative. The 48 is the first choice.

If you remove the mounting block there's a good chance the number of the sight is stamped there.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock has been releived for the sight base. The base is marked as a 43. This is a very light stamping which could easily be a 48.

Thank you. Now to look for the rest of the sight.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch e-bay. the 48w's come up fairly often. You might have to buy the whole sight but there have been a few slides on there as well.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a 48 WJS with box currently for sale on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3636857729
(thanks to dduck!)

[ 11-10-2003, 23:50: Message edited by: snowcat ]

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Soundman:
The stock has been releived for the sight base. The base is marked as a 43. This is a very light stamping which could easily be a 48.

Thank you. Now to look for the rest of the sight.

Mike

Must be a 48 as the 43 was a tang sight for an old Stevens.

Rob