Find
Notify
Tools

Reinstalling a barrel??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

When you reinstall a Mauser barrel do you put any lubricant on the threads? If so, what do you use?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
No. I just make sure the barrel & receiver threads are squeaky clean.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there will be a lot different practices for this. I've heard light oil, Never Seize, LocTite, nothing at all, etc. All I know is most of mine need bluing after installation so any contaminant is an issue. If there is no finishing involved, I wonder if it matters?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I clean the threads real good and apply Break Free prior to assembly. If the action and/or barrel is stainless, I use anti seize.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use barrel assembly paste that brownells sells. Looks like a stiff grease with moly in it. It would probably act as a contaminant if if I was going to reblue the rifle.

Posts: 91 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heat from friction causes galling. With a Mauser, you are likely not working with stainless steel, so galling isn't quite as likely. The most critical thing you must do to avoid galling is to make sure the threads are clean. Any moly based or high temp grease will suffice if the threads are clean. You don't need to overdo it, just a little on the threads and shoulder.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always use a thick anti-sieze lubricant from the auto supply store, Permatex I think.

I always true the receiver and all mating surfaces so I have never had a problem with bluing contamination or salts creeping out later and I have fitted and hot blued a lot of them.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always scrub the threads real well then dry them off thoroughly. Not need to use oil or grease unless the action does not thread on easily. As others have mentioned, any substance you use may contaminate if you must reblue. If not, a little grease will not hurt anything but is not neaded, niether is locktite if barrel is torqued properly and shoulders are making adequate contact.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote