THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Request for pics of classic Springfield sporters

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Request for pics of classic Springfield sporters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jeff,

Tell me about it. First he teases me by sending me that photo and then I got to wait and wait and wait

But it will be worth it. It is just darn hard to be patient sometimes

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right guys, I know that there are some people on here that have some classicly done up sporters built on 03's and 03a3's (I know that these are not as desireable for sporter's, but I am going to use it on this next project and I think it will turn out all right).

I am looking for all pics, full rifle and ESPECIALLY pics showing metalwork, bolt stops, trigger bows, floorplates, tang etc. Anything that can be reshaped or smoothed, ground etc. to make prettier or more functional.

Remember guys, these are guns we're talking about, you can never have too many pictures of guns! :-)

Thanks,

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Red,
Did you have torturing me in mind when you wrote this post? I am glad I have a plastic keyboard protector on my computer or I would have drool inside my computer shorting it out. I am salivating just thinking about custom Springfields.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 2mp! Got the pics. Anybody have close ups of the metal work?

Red

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Here is a new rifle that showed up on Maurice Hallowells site:

http://www.hallowellco.com/jules_labantchni_custom.htm

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I can not give you any pictures of a completed Springfield Sporter, but I can give you pictures of a work in progress.

Here are some pictures showing before and after views. The metal work was done by Jim Dubell, custom Talley bases, modified the trigger bow and custom hinged floor plate, new Bolt handle with engraving by Roger Kehr (AKA Scrollcutter), Jewelled bolt, 3-pos safety.

This is the blank picked out by Chic (AKA Customstox)

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Here's my '03. 25in Douglas barrel, Timiney trigger and Wenig stock

This is as close to a full stock that I have.

Springfield on the top

On the bottom.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
PS, here is a beautiful Springfield:

http://www.acgg.org/18brochure.pdf

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
PS, here is a beautiful Springfield:

Please, let's not go there again.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will be of any help, but it's a nice little bit of history.

-Bob F.

Osa Johnson pictured in the Serengeti with her [Griffin & Howe] Springfield rifle, 1928.

The Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum
http://www.safarimuseum.com/

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I will catch flak for this, but who was Osa? :-(

Thanks for the pics guys, some great stuff out there.

Red

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Here's three more Griffin & Howe examples, Dago.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red .. I sent you a few pix e-mail of my favorite 03-A3.. I think they are worth the effort .. good luck

Posts: 45 | Location: NorthCentral PA - USA | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
54JNoll,

WOW! That is going to be one fine springfield, whats it chambered for?

I just got off the phone with my 'smith, my barreled action is ready, Ill pick it up today. Now Im going to start working on the stock and blueing. The rifle is going to be rust blued with a piece of AAA curly Maple from Tiger Hunt in a classical style, thinking about going with reddish brown dye and Ive got a dark burly piece of black walnut for the forend tip and grip cap.

Ive never tried the Maple thing before, I thought it might go well with a Springfield. Its almost a given that no one else in camp will have anything like it.

Posts: 10158 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
This is a nice exercise in nostalgia, but those stocks don't exactly enhance target acquisition or shootability.

Shoot one of those archaic Springfields in .30-06 alongside, say, an Al Biesen rifle in .30-06 and see which design is more shooter-friendly........

AD

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by allen day...
This is a nice exercise in nostalgia, but those stocks don't exactly enhance target acquisition or shootability.

Shoot one of those archaic Springfields in .30-06 alongside, say, an Al Biesen rifle in .30-06 and see which design is more shooter-friendly........

Depends entirely upon what era Biesen you're talking about.

The heyday of Griffin & Howe Springfields likely had more drop at the heel than what's popular now. And they certainly had higher scope mounts than are available now.

However, Biesen's style wasn't as "straight" as is popular for scope mounted rifles now. All of Jack O'Connor's Biesen stocks were built "to clear the bolt at the comb nose and 1/2 inch more drop at heel".

I've found that dimension to work very well for me. I've listened to people profess the virtues of the straight comb, only to see them shoulder their favorite smoke pole thusly stocked........and have an inch of butt plate protruding above their shoulder.

Other than a stock that was built expressly for me.......I can shoot a stock with marginally more drop at the heel better than one that has less than desired. I find straight comb stocks decidedly uncomfortable. They must be built for people with very short necks.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I know I will catch flak for this, but who was Osa? :-(

Thanks for the pics guys, some great stuff out there.

Red

Red,

Martin and Osa Johnson (married couple) did some of the first motion picture photography of animals in Africa. They also did a lot of still photography work. They weren't really safari sport hunters, per se, but Osa did a lot of the shooting on their trips. She stopped several charges of dangerous game while protecting her husband while he was filming. Martin and Osa also filmed in the South Pacific but they are most famous for their work in Africa during the 1920s and 30s. Osa wrote several books about their adventures and they made some movies. Also, they were both pilots and did a flight from Cape Town to London.

You can learn more about them at the The Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum web site: http://www.safarimuseum.com/ I thoroughly enjoyed her book Four Years in Paradise.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Bob, do you know which crater the Johnsons referred to as "Lake Paradise"? I don't believe it is Ngorongoro.

Other good books by the Johnsons are "I Married Adventure" and "Safari".

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Bob, do you know which crater the Johnsons referred to as "Lake Paradise"? I don't believe it is Ngorongoro.

Other good books by the Johnsons are "I Married Adventure" and "Safari".

http://www.which-way.com/africa-guide/destinationsg2a/DestID~176

Marsabit National Reserve - Kenya

Marsabit National Reserve covers an area of 1500 km2 and consists of a forested mountain that rises like an oasis in the middle of the desert wilderness and is the only source of permanent surface water in the region. The reserve has three spectacular crater lakes that provide habitat for a variety of birdlife. One of the lakes, Lake Paradise, is most scenic and famous from early films and writings of Martin Johnson and Vivien de Wattville. Marsabit reserve is also known because of large elephants like the famous Ahmed, an elephant that was provided with a 24-hour protection by a presidential order. Ahmed, who boasted some of the biggest tusks ever recorded, died at age 55, and his body was preserved and is now on display in Nairobi National Museum.

More information at:

http://kenya.geopassage.com/city.asp?cityID=10

To All: Sorry for the off topic post but I wanted to answer his question.

-Bob F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, didn't they fly? I might have heard the name before. I read an article in a flying magazine about a plane that had been made as a replica to one used in Africa and I want to say the people using it were doing filming. Beautiful amphibian. Mag is probably around here somewhere.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
Red,

Well, it looks like this is turning into the Martin and Osa Johnson thread! Well, she did use a Springfield sporter!

Yes, they did fly. They did some of the first aerial photography in Africa. They did a flight from Cape Town all the way to London.

Here's an excerpt from
http://www.kshs.org/portraits/johnson_osa.htm

After obtaining pilot licenses in 1932, the Johnsons flew the entire length of the African continent in their two amphibian planes taking the first aerial photographs of Africa's wildlife.

Osa's enthusiasm for their chosen career was evident in her responsibilities. It was she who directed camp life, laying in supplies, providing for their comfort and overseeing the preparations of meals. She loved to hunt and fish and secured plentiful supplies of fresh meat through her prowess with the rod and gun. Sometimes when Martin was photographing in potentially dangerous situations she stood by the camera, gun in hand, ready to protect her husband. When needed, Osa could effectively operate the camera and sometimes she took off on photographic expeditions of her own. Like Martin, she learned to fly, and was the first to fly a plane over the China Sea.

Their planes were a Sikorsky S-38 (twin engine) named Osa's Ark and a Sikorsky S-39 (single engine) named Spirit of Africa. Both were amphibians.

Some photos of both of their planes can be found here:
http://www.airminded.net/sikorsky1/osasark.html

Someone currently has a reproduction of Osa's Ark though I can't remember the details right now. It's a restored S-38 made to look like Osa's Ark. I'm sure a little searching on the web would turn up a story about it. I know the plane has made some appearances at the Martin Johnson Airport in Chanute, Kansas for the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum located there.

Some more information about the replica is here:
Sikorsky, N-28V, 1929, #14 S-38

Here's a photo of it:

Here's a Plane & Pilot Magazine article about Chanute that has some more information about the Johnsons:
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/content/pastissues/2001/apr/travel.html

Martin and Osa certainly had an adventurous life. I recommend reading their books. Osa was quite a gal! I wonder where her Springfield sporter is today?

-Bob F.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I visited the museum about 15-20 years ago, just ordered their film "Simba" off the website. Hope it is the one featuring Osa stopping rhino charges with her double rifle. George Eastman (Eastman Kodak) accompanied them to Lake Paradise and I believe helped finance their trips.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went "classic" ... 30-06.

I like reddish brown stain on Maple. Should make a very nice piece. Tiger Hunt has some good wood too.

Here is a piece of Grade 6 Suger Maple with Reddish Brown Stain. I wish the rifle was done but this is the test piece. There are actually 4 shaes on this piece in the picture. Divide the picture in four equal parts and you will roughly get each shade with lightest on the right (1 coat of stain) and darkest on the left (4 coats).

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post

Chic,
you are KILLING me..

jeffe

Posts: 38594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trust me, it will be worth it

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I know. It is in very capable hands so on one hand it makes the waiting easier because once I do get it I know it will be right. The other side of me just wants to hold and shoot the final product and having to look at that blank every day just get the juices flowing . But I am willing to waite for right.

Of course if I lived in Wa rather than Mo I could at least visit with permission.