New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large Company Gunsmiths?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see that Gander Mountain and Briley's have gunsmithing departments. Does anyone have experience in using these guys? Gander's prices look pretty good, Briley is somewhat more expensive. I just wondered how they stack up against private operations.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've used Briley to work on shotguns and always been happy with their work. I've shot some of the rifles and pistols they build and they seem pretty decent also.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Briley's is frist class !

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a gander smith - FORGET IT

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
For minor work, the local Gander smith is ok. Granted that is 90% of what I need to have done! For anything costly, most guys around here go to a better smith.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't take anything to Briley. Their shotgun work may be okay but their pistol division sucks. I had several bad experiences with them. One was a $2500 pistol built by them that had the bullets hitting the compensator. You can get better work done for a cheaper price IMHO. This happened years ago and I have never gone back. Maybe they have improved since then.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote