Find
Notify
Tools

FN barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted
I want to adquier a FN civil mauser (without tumb cut) cal. 8X60S from the late 50's. Has anybody any experience about the quality of barrels of those rifles?

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6_5X57:
I want to adquier a FN civil mauser (without tumb cut) cal. 8X60S from the late 50's. Has anybody any experience about the quality of barrels of those rifles?

Some are good while others are not so good.

All have chrome lined bores.

My advice would be if possible buy a new barrel.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
might sound stupid, but if it shoots well its good, if not its bad

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
might sound stupid, but if it shoots well its good, if not its bad

My point was that it's a crap shoot. How does one tell before buying and installing it whether or not one found a good one? And what a waste of time and funds if a bad one is found.

Yeah. You called it correctly. It was a rather silly question.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one tells by making it a condition of sale to be able to shoot the rifle for accuracy. Not much different than taking a car for a test drive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
one tells by making it a condition of sale to be able to shoot the rifle for accuracy. Not much different than taking a car for a test drive.

Yep. That'll work. thumb But I must confess, many dealers believe that once you actually shoot the piece, it's yours, good or bad. thumbdown