New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 70 rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a wichester m70 classic stainless barrel in 375h&h, i can get a winchester m70 classic stainless action that was a 7mm STW. my question is what all would have to be done. Would the bolt have to be changed, any feeding problems ect. thanks in advnace

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have M70 Classics in both calibers, not stainless, but that shouldn't matter. Both actions are identical, the only difference between the two rifles is the barrel. The magzine boxes in both rifles have the same part number stamped on them. The only difference is the barrel.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
All that need to be done is to time & headspace the 375 barrel. You might also consider lapping the actions lugs while you're at it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so when i put the 375 barrel on and headspace it, the open sights might be upside down, or should it be farely close?

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
It is a crap shoot if the sights will line up. You need the barrel timed which means the sights are lined up right, and headspaced which means the chamber is the right fore-aft dimension. This may require that where the barrel butts up to the receiver may have to be cut back a bit. It may also require that the chamber be re-cut to establish head space. What I do is first screw the barrel in and torque it correctly. I then look at the sight alignment and determine how many degrees the barrel needs to be rotated to correct it. I then check the headspace. It it is too great then I make a decision as to how much I must set the barrel back to both correct the headspace and align the sights. Most of the time the chamber will have to be recut a small amount because the changes needed for alignment and headspacing never coincide. I've only been lucky once when I
put a used barrel on an action and had the sights and headspacing be correct. Please remember that this is a simplified explanation and that there are other dimensional considerations and decisions.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
SHHHHHH you are giving away one of the best values in a H&H action out there. jump

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Classic action has an extractor cut in the back of the barrel that needs to be timed to the extractor. The sights will be lined up if the extractor is.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yep i forgot to mention that the barrel has to be timed so the extractor cut in in the 3 o'clock position after the barrel is torqued down.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote