New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey gun smiths am I right or what?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerStoney point told me they didn't have a head space guage for my 7.7 Jap rifle and that ablank would have to be drilled out to make one. Then they sent me an e mail saying their C-375 guage would work as it was made for the 7 x 57 and would work for the Jap as well. I disagree with this as the 7 x 57 has a taper of 20 degrees 45' and the 7.7 a 23 degree. Seems to me the 23 degree angle would never seat properly in a 20 degree guage. As the head space is measured in the middle of the taper it would never seat against the 20 degree taper. Might just be something I am missing on this!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were you I would call either Clymer, Forster or Dave Manson if you are looking for head space gauges. Stoney Point makes great walking sticks! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedWhy the fixation on that gagae Blob? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the sinclair tool works with every rifle.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerYou asked why the fixtation on the guage? I thought this was a fourm that you could ask a simple question and get some answers. I was wondering if the 20 degree angle of the guage used for the 7 x 57 would bring about a wrong reading on the 23 degree Jap. This not fixtation just asking a simple question! if you don't know then don't answer as there are enough idiots filling these spaces already!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks for the info Rick!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger, Yeeee-Ouch! Looks like you got ripped a new one for asking a simple question.

quote:
Seems to me the 23 degree angle would never seat properly in a 20 degree guage. As the head space is measured in the middle of the taper it would never seat against the 20 degree taper.

Well, I for one "know the answer", but at the risk of offending any thin-skin types, I'll just keep it to myself.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I for one "know the answer", but at the risk of offending any thin-skin types, I'll just keep it to myself.

sleep

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not know that Stoney Point made headspace gauges. I thought they made seating depth comparators. If you are talking about a comparator then they are probably right, a 7x57 will work. You are not measuring a specific distance with a comparator but only a measurement that can be compared with other measurements. Did I say that right? In order to measure headspace you do need a headspace gauge.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
http://www.stoneypoint.com/headspace_index.html

Guess I never knew there was a guage to measure headspace from fired brass.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just because Stoney Point calls it a headspace gauge doesn't make it one. A headspace gauge in the traditional definition is a precision ground gauge to measure a rifle chamber as it is being reamed in order to assure it meets some specification such as SAAMI. What Stoney Point is selling is what most benchrest shooters call a "thingy" or "gizmo" since there is no established name for it as far as I know. It is used to measure shoulder bump. Most BR shooters use one that is much simpler than Stoney Point's, being made from a short section of barrel blank and the reamer that was used to cut the chamber. Like a comparator it does not measure any specific dimension but allows the shooter to compare the shoulder location of fired brass with the shoulder loaction of new fire-formed brass to determine how much shoulder bump is needed to assure smooth chambering.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
http://www.stoneypoint.com/headspace_index.html

Guess I never knew there was a guage to measure headspace from fired brass.

I was just given an RCBS "Precision Mic" by a friend. That's one of the two uses of the Precision Mic. One is to determine the headspace of a given rifle chamber using an average of measurements from three fired cases, the other is measuring seating depth of bullets to the lands. Works pretty well, once one understands how to use it. Each "Precision Mic" is for a specific cartridge, so there is no really great money savings. And, you can't use one very practically in the process of chambering a rifle. But, if you have a rifle where, for instance, primers are backing out of the cartridges a bit, the "Precision Mic" WILL let you determine what the true headspace of that rifle actually is, to .001" of an inch, and determine from SAAMI specs whether your chamber is in or out of spec.

Added by editing:

Just for fun I tried it with my Sako Safari-grade .338 Win Mag. It did a great job of measuring the headspace to the datum line on the whoulder of the .338. Turns out my Sako only has .0005" (half a thou) more than minimum headspace. What is even more interesting to me, is that factory loaded 200 gr. power-point ammo, though only a few thou too small in the headspace measured using the convention "belt" measurement, it has MORE than .050" excess headspace when measured to the datum line. Thus, while it is safe to fire, it sure as hell IS sloppy ammo making by the manufacturer.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I originally said: Stoney Point makes great walking sticks! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Precision Mic works fine. I just bump the shoulder back a little at a time until I get the "crush" I want then lock the dies in.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Perhaps he needs to check the headspace on a 7.7mm Jap rifle, perchance??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Roger, Yeeee-Ouch! Looks like you got ripped a new one for asking a simple question.

quote:
Seems to me the 23 degree angle would never seat properly in a 20 degree guage. As the head space is measured in the middle of the taper it would never seat against the 20 degree taper.

"Well, young feller, I knows the trick, and to you I'm gonna show it!! If you want yer boom'rang to come back, then first you've gotta throw it!!"

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Ramrod340, you need to be careful with that method as you could be feeling the area above the web and not the shoulder.I have seen it many times and the people keep bumping the shoulder back and then you get case separation. You need a guage to be sure. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerOh well fellers it doesn't matter to much as I set the head space with my dies anyway. Jusy wondering about stoney's claim. i am not experiencing any problems just finding out a few things. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:

OK I'll bite. For what reason? Is he going out and buy some ammo for this rifle? If he is reloading he adjusts his dies to match the irregular chamber if such is the case.

I wasn't being a smart ass . I've followed Blobs same quiry on other threads and it's always back to a gage for which I can not see a benefit.

That really was the question what was Blob looking for.What benefit would this give him?

Right now Deguello, after adjusting to your simple explanation, I guess I don't really give a big rat's ass.I also am beging to believe that all these Blob 7.7 threads are a lot of bull The only thing that holds it all together is the revered status of the 7.7 Arasaka. thumbdown homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:

OK I'll bite. For what reason? Is he going out and buy some ammo for this rifle? If he is reloading he adjusts his dies to match the irregular chamber if such is the case.

I wasn't being a smart ass . I've followed Blobs same quiry on other threads and it's always back to a gage for which I can not see a benefit.

That really was the question what was Blob looking for.What benefit would this give him?

Right now Deguello, after adjusting to your simple explanation, I guess I don't really give a big rat's ass.I also am beging to believe that all these Blob 7.7 threads are a lot of bull The only thing that holds it all together is the revered status of the 7.7 Arasaka. thumbdown homerroger

Oh. I see.

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
The Stoney will measure from the case head to a point on the shoulder. If you measure a full length resized case and then measure a fired case you can tell how much it has expanded.

If you have a question about a rifle's headspace, better take it to a competent gunsmith and let him measure it properly.

Check the last portion of this Link

Oh, Blob1, you're not right.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I can find my Stoney Point, I will let somebody have it for shipping. It is not that good for setting seating depth with their supplied cases. They are loose in your chamber, so unless you take cases fireformed in your chamber and tap them yourself,you won't get a good reading.Send PM if interested. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote