New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sako going down the shitter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There may still be hope for Sako if not for Berretta USA. A good buddy of mine bought a 75 hunter in 300 Ultra. The stock cracked and so he returned it to the dealer who said he would send it back to get it fixed.
After a few months the dealer called and said that he got the rifle back from Sako but if he now just wanted his money back he could have it. Knowing the dealer I suggested that something was funny and he should run down and grab his 300 Ultra now because the dealer wouldn't normally give his money back.
Sako had upgraded his plain model 75 Hunter to a 75 Deluxe. They sent him a brand new, more expensive version for a broken used rifle. I don't know how common this is but at least they did their best to take good care of at least 1 customer.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh Geez, are we forming the Sako version of the "pre 64 winchester" cult??

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not until after I've bought up the ones I want.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is good news. I waited 18 months for a stock replacement. Never happened so I bought a McMillan. That works much better anyway.

I think I know that dealer.

JCN

I think the new Benelli M2 shotgun is going to give Berretta a run for their money, oh wait, Berretta owns Benelli.
The frogs own Winchester and Browning, Ruger makes golf clubs, and Kermit the other frog is running Remington.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two main issues for me:

1. Nearly complete absence of customer service. Before the new web based service format went into existence this summer I spent two hours on two separate days witing to talk to a customer service rep. Both times I ended up with someone who said they couldn't help me, and that I would have to call back a few days later and talk to someone else. When I asked if those someones could call me back I was told "sure, give us your number and they'll get back to you". I'm still waiting for the calls.

After the web based customer service set up came on line I tried that route. I'm still waiting for answers to my questions.

2. Part of the charm of Sako's for me has been the quality of the machining, and the quality of the components, as well as the skilled work that went into assembling them. I made a personal decision to save more of my hard earned money for Sako's because I prized the quality of their execution compared to our domestically available products. The 75 action was designed for ease of production (less machining steps costs less money). Nothing the matter with that. If your are building something for less, you can sell it for less, and be more competitive. What I see happening though, is that they are continuing to market themselves as a higher end rifle. As was mentioned above, Beretta is banking on the Sako name and tradition, and taking a wider profit margin out of the deal. Remember when the Benelli Super Black Eagle came out and it was the best $600.00 shotgun you could buy for $1,000.00? I think the new Sako's may be developing into the best $800.00 dollar rifles you can buy for $1,200.00.

JCN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheer up guys! CZ is alive and doing well. And their customer service is good.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter Jim,

Beretta dropped one of their finest products, their 455 Express rifles from their product line recently. I contacted them to try and find out whether they still offered them on special order for a friend and the only response that I got was a mail from them saying that they would check up and let me know. They still haven't, three weeks after sending me that mail and my friend has almost decided on an alternate choice.

With them owning Sako, the pre-64 type cult in Sakos is only waiting to begin.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John
Its Remington that makes golf clubs.... Ping, if memory serves me correctly ;o)

Regards, Augustis ><>

Posts: 18 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JCN, you are right on about their customer service. It is extremely frustrating to try and talk to somebody with knowledge about their product, and not be able to talk to anyone. I don't know if it has disintegrated drastically since the Beretta 'takeover' but it sure seems so. I have been trying to get a V action magazine for 300 WSM, they only made it in the long action with the 'spacer installed' magazine for one season, and this year came out with the SM actions in 270 WSM and 300WSM, I have one each of the Hunter, Stainless Syn. and Finnlight in each caliber. That doesn't matter to them, they as much as told me that it was a mistake to make the 300WSM's on the long action, but tuff, they still can't get me an extra mag for it! I own 10 other Sako 75's and like in your experience, they don't give a rip if you own 18 or don't even have one, at least they're consistent--they treat you like crap either way. Having said that the action/ features (i.e. Detachable Mag. 3 lug bolt, great barrels typically) make them a better mousetrap IMO, Their synthetic stocks are like every other factory syn. I have encountered, POS! All mine have been restocked with McMillans, and that makes a great rig! It seems crazy that you are basically buying a barreled action for 1000-1200 bucks,++ for an extra mag., but I can't find another action/barrel combo that gives me the three specs. I mentioned earlier to build a rifle out of. I think those features (and of course the extreme quality) are what contribute to Kenny Jarrett always being a year plus out on deliveries for his tri-lug rifles....anyways I ramble on--if you know of another quality action with the SAKO 75 features we can have a rifle built on (don't say A-Bolt) I'll join your abondonment of the Beretta group....
Regards--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish,
With the detachable mag, the 75 is probably still the best day in and out option for the WSM's.

My tastes run more to belted mags and old timey (270, 9.3x62,6.5x55)stuff. I also like mags with floorplates, and don't mind a 90 degree bolt throw.

I can hear it now:
"Hey Ralph, I heard you got a Sako."
"Yup."
"Pre-97?"
"Damn straight."

Pecos,
If CZ don't go putting on airs they should be good project starters for quite a while.

One thing I really like about my older Sako's is that they will sling those empties quite a ways out the side. I have to discipline myself to go easy when I'm shooting my sporter weight 6mm PPC. For $1.10 per case I end up on my hands and knees in the sage brush looking for the little jewels.

JCN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Easy does it,I dont want to stir you up,but I too own roughly a 100 lbs of sakos,some older,a few just off the rack.Am I to understand your problem is in the receiver and rings?I'm not tryin to be an a$$ here,I just want the straight goods on the exact problem.Every little glich I've ever had,I've talked directly to the manufacter.