Find
Notify
Tools

Acra Milling Machine any good?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
Do any of you guys have a Acra mill? How are they compared to a Bridgeport? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Bridgeports and I like them because they are easy to sell. They're a lot of other mills out there that are better and cheaper.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Never had a Acra. I have many Bridgports, a couple Alliants, a couple Laguns and of the three I have had the Bridgports have outlasted all.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Acra are good machines.
I'd also recommend Kent or Acer Machines equally good machines for low bucks
I don't agree with butch on a machine that is better and cheeper?? There are very few machines that can go toe to toe with a Bridgeport. If you look at repeatability of the lead screws. Lead accuracy. Squareness etc. you'll find that the machines that are close or better then a Bridgeport are just as expensive. Used is a whole other story. The other issue is how long could a cheaper machine hold it's accuracy??
My 1974 9X49 is still going strong with minimal backlash and near perfect squareness.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bridgeports are certainly the most recognized name for good reason but, there are others that are just as good. I had a chance to pick up a trade-in Wells/Index with DRO 3 axis and servos 3 axis, about 3 years ago and had to pass, as I didn't have room in the shop. Still burns my A$$.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm speaking of used machines. Most of us don't buy new stuff. The Wells-Index, and Gortons are better machines are better in my opinion. Don't get me wrong. Both of my 70s Bridgeports are good tight machines, just not as robust as some of the others.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I appreciate the opinions, effort, and your time! God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I'm speaking of used machines. Most of us don't buy new stuff. The Wells-Index, and Gortons are better machines are better in my opinion. Don't get me wrong. Both of my 70s Bridgeports are good tight machines, just not as robust as some of the others.
Butch

I agree, My favorite machine in trade school was a gorton. We also had XLO's, Lagun's, Well's, Tree, And a few Bridgeport's.
A good Gorton will kick the butt of a Bridge port. I was mainly referring to the foreign machines and the non standard machines.
There is always someone trying to make a better machine or make one cheeper.

Louis
Are you looking to buy new or used? and do you have a machine in mind??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Well I done did it! I bought a Bridgeport today. Close enough home to go get and not have to worry about shipping. It was too good of a deal to pass up. It is a Series I. Not variable speed. Does have a vise, and collets. Ways are good and seems tight. Don't think I got burnt to bad at $750. I do need a DRO and a power feed for the table. Any suggestions. Thanks guys; and God Bless, Louis

PS By the way this is my first mill.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Dro's on ebay are hit or miss.
New they run about $800 and up for the cheepies then go to $1500 and up for the better ones.
Power feed. I'd get a cheepy from Enco they put them on sale from time to time for about $200. I'd say 70% as good as a servo brand just 1/3 to cost. Get the High torque version I think it's 150 Ft/Lbs wil last a bit longer and I think it's only another $50 or so. Easy to install to as long as the mill doesn't have Bridgeport's old feed with the long shaft adapter hanging out the table.

Is it three phase? If so how do you intend to power it. I have a solution that's much better and cheeper then a phase converter.
For about $200 to $300 you can get a VFD (variable frequency drive) That will generate a false third leg of power.
Buy a three to four horse power unit in 220 VAC input and just wire up the motor to the "T" leads on the drive. Go through the parameters on the drive, Set the ramp up and down time to three seconds. set the max frequency to 60Hz.
Flip the switch and call it good.
Machine will run perfect (assuming all else is in good condition) and you can slam it from forward to reverse with no problem, Makes tapping a breeze.
I still use the above system in my garage running off of 220 single phase. It used to be hooked up to 110 then into a large transformer then into the drive. In that way I was able to run a full size mill in my apartment garage that only had 15 amp service and never blew a braker
The mill only draws about four amps at 220 and eight at 110 volts. Worked great till I got a house.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the VFD and with a potentiometer you will have variable speed. I have them on both of my Bridgeports.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Forgot too.... Your machine is belt drive. Not with a VFD. As Butch said there are leads to connect a Pot that allows infinitely variable speed.
In that regard set your belt to around 1500 RPM at 60Hz on the VFD. You can always over clock the motor a bit for small drills and cutters just don't do it for very long as the motor will build heat faster. FYI if 60Hz = 1000 RPM, 120Hz =2000 RPM and 30Hz = 500 RPM not including slip of the motor.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got mine set to 90HZ. max., but don't have to use it much.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Just a note It would take hours of continuos use to kill to motor clocked at 50% increase in speed.
Motor thermal protection would kick in before that though. I just want everyone to be aware of the issue

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Man I wish you guys lived a little closer to these hills. I'll get my electrician to look over this and see what he can come up with. I aint to sharp on this stuff, little outa my league. Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Oh yeah, all I have is single phase power here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because they are electricians don't mean they will know how to hook up a VFD or a RPC. The single phase goes to the VFD and then goes to the motor. The signal to the motor comes from the VFD to the mill switch with low voltage wiring. I am sure not an electrician.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
NO NO NO NO Don't let an electrician near it!!!!
Typically they don't know jack about VFD's
I can walk you through it though

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
My electrician is a good friend and pretty cool. We do construction and metal fabrication together. He would probably know more than me. Louis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Louis,
He can be dangerous. I had one electrician hook up a RFC wrong and single phased the motor and burnt it out. Another friend electrician ran the single phase to the VFD and out to the switch with the 3 phase. I didn't fry anything this time. I'm talking commercial electricians with many years experience.
Butch