New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I do with this?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few years ago I went to a auction. I went there because I saw they had guns and lots of other gun related items. I found a factory winchester composit stock for my short action mod 70 243. The guys that were doing the calling were normally auctioners that do farm sales. If they couldn't get a bid on something they grabbed something else and put with it. Well I got the stock, and I also got a Winchester stainless steel barrel with a Boss system on it all for 20 bucks. This barrel fits the "new pre-64 style" Model 70.
The barrel says it is a 243 winchester and it looks like it was never shot. I used the stock on my 243 and I like it a lot. BUt I am not sure what to do with the barrel. I would like to have a 243 with a Boss for my kids to shoot but how hard would it be to find that action? Would it be better to just buy the new rifle and throw the barrel away? What should I do with it? Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I would be tempted to just buy a new gun and sell the barrell, either on ebay or through auctionarms.com. If you happen to be at the right place at the right time maybe you can pick a gun with a shot out or bad barrel, but if price is not right by the time you pay someone to fit this to a different gun it may cost more than just buying something you want. I don't think the BOSS would be that much of an advantage on a beginner 243 either.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Winchester barrels, but Remington barrels can be re-theaded to fit a small ring Mauser, such as most Turks. Maybe you could do something like that to get some use out of it. As mentioned, though, you'd probably be ahead to sell it on one of the gun auctions ($50 ish??) and use the money toward a new 243.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote