Find
Notify
Tools

Analyzing bore wear.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,
Anybody ever come across any documentation on analyzing irregularities in a rifle bore as viewed through a borescope? It would be great if someone could build a collection of photos as a guide to analyzing bore wear and manufacturing problems. Seems like most of that is stored in the brains of old timers! You'ld have to view a lot of barrels to really understand what you see on a microscopic level. I've seen the photos on Hawkeye's website (4 in all), but I've seen other things in my barrels.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you post this on www.benchrest.com you will probably get more photos than you can handle.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<WRYFOX>
posted
The importnat thing to understand with the hawkeye is that you will see things that will appear alarming to you but it is the performance that matters. EX: I bought a Ruger # 1 with a heavy contour Shilen custom barrel..shoots 1/4moa just fine, but under view of the borescope found that the bore is pitted in many areas from poor storage confitions I would guess. Rifling is sharp, smooth, etc bore little pits everywhere. if I had seen that prior to purchase, I would have handed it back. Tne proof is in the shooting. The most useful thing for the borescope is to detect wear, which is in the form of fine cracking orcrazing of the bore just past the throat, the longer that condition is seen down the bore, the more rounds have been fired, so it kind of gives you a use estimate. A custom mcmillan rem 700 I have shows about 1/2" of crazing past the throat. The fellow I bought it from was a Army marksman and counted 738 rds fired since new.