Find
Notify
Tools

SPECIALTY SCREWDRIVER QUESTION
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NMcollektor
posted
Hi - I'm trying to remove a Mannlicher-Schoenauer buttplate, which features very wide/very thin screws.

I need a 3/32 tip (slightly smaller would work too), but all the screwdrivers I have found with this thickness are not wide enough to really grab the screw.

I don't want to chew the screwhead up... is there a trick to this, or does it require a special gunsmithing screwdriver bit?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

"Brevity is the sole of wit." - Rudyard Kipling.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 28 November 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet you're gonna have to grind (file) your own blade to fit. When you get it JUST right, put the blade into the slot and rap the end of the handle with a light hammer as you turn

Posts: 3516 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells a thin bit set. But I have done as Duane suggests with good results.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13506 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, probably need to grind one. Although I have used an alternative method. Acquire a set of feeler gauges from your auto parts store. Select a gauge that fits the screw slot perfectly. Cut a strip out to fit the screw slot and clamp it in Vise Grip pliers. Makes a great screwdriver for one-off uses.

Posts: 3717 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, I have done the same.

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NMcollektor
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Great ideas all! They are very much appreciated.

"Brevity is the sole of wit." - Rudyard Kipling.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 28 November 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Plus, for really stubborn screws, using a 10 inch adjustable positioned low on the blade will give extra torque.
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I'd bet you're gonna have to grind (file) your own blade to fit. When you get it JUST right, put the blade into the slot and rap the end of the handle with a light hammer as you turn

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, and that will work on a butt plate but when you get one that won't come out no matter what you chuck the blade in your mill and hold the piece in your vise; turn the spindle whilst putting downward pressure on it. If that doesn't work, then you chuck a center drill and drill it out. That I use most often on WW2 Jeep engine blocks.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have wondered, every time I have come across a thin slotted screw on an old rifle, why they used them in the first place.

I guess they're more elegant, but not the most functional, I think.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13506 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those insert bits carreid by Brownells and others can be cut to size with a carbide end mill

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
These are a couple of my favorite investments I've made for my little DIY shop.
Very smooth operation, no jump like a grinder stone. Click for picture.

Expander wheel for benchtop grinder.

The quick change impact driver is a dream for screws and small concrete bits. Wish I had bought one sooner.

20V impact drive/drill.

This out of balance, fat & clumsy CHINA body work hammer was substantially reduced in size and cleaned up free-hand with 220 grit on the expander wheel.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I got tired of the junk screwdrivers available. I made my own out of S7 tool steel, hardened and double tempered. I took a tight screw out that had a .017 slot. The blades were ground to fit on a surface grinder. I have about 6 or 8 each of 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" that I will sell.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iuse torx screw wherever I can, but Ive made great screw drivers from old screw drivers in pawn shops at 50 cents apiece, some of the really old ones are great as is..I pick through them and buy 25 or whatever, then make them as needed,I have enough now that I seldom need a new one, same with scrapers for shaping and inletting. I have about 75 of those last count..Some I heat and dip in Brownells quenching oil or even water at times..I test as I go, its not rocket science and fun to do..with exact tool needed a custom scraper and shape makes enletting so much better..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42012 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote