Find
Notify
Tools

stock design
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted
Hey everyone, I'm working on a stock design for a... well, a Western Field bolt action .410. A guy's got to have hobbies, right? Anyway, I've been drawing stocks and would like an opinion (on the stock design, not how silly it is for this gun Big Grin ). Top design is the stock as is (you can't see the crack, however) and the middle two have more of a guild look, I think. The bottom is all the stocks laid on top of one another. The two triggers are the resting position and the fully retracted firing position.

My intention is a sleeker, more classic style. This is primarily my starter shotgun for the kids, So it'll have a 13" LOP or so. I was hampered a bit by the takedown bolt as to how to shape the fore end.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with using that as a project. Just my opinion,bottom of the grip cap area should intersect with the heel of the stock or closer to it. Point of the comb should be more radiused and not so sharp. Make sure the grip angle and radius is not swept back too far,it may not allow the kids to reach the trigger properly. Just my thoughts for what its worth. You can also try building up the original stock with Bondo or Acra gel and reshape it until your happy with it as a pattern. I hope your project goes well for you.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, make a mock up of each design and feel them; or have a kid handle them. No way to tell from the looks of a stock how it will feel in the hands. Of course, some stocks are made just for looks too. But the comment on the swept back grip is valid.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
For myself, I like the second from the top with its longer wrist length to the point of the comb, and I also like the more sharply angled "Alexander Henry" style grip end shape with the slight separation between grip end and raised toe line. Nice! The point of the comb as illustrated does look a bit, well, pointed, but I'm guessing that's just for ease of illustration.

Kids' hands are considerably smaller than mine though. If the desired result is directed at ease of use for kids first and looks second, they should get some serious input here, especially as far as trigger reach from the grip.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
#2 would be my choice as well, but short LOP might be accompanied by smaller hands, so the wrist of #1 might be a better choice.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
No. 3 is the classic design, with the comb continuing forward of the pistol hand. No.1 is the worst IMHO because the underside of the butt does not align with the rear of the trigger guard.

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
I did a quick pine mockup that got satisfactory response from my daughter.

and the stick of walnut

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote