New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reamer quality and accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a chamber reamer that has been used too often or damaged in any way be detrimental to the accuracy of a rifle?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the throat portion is dull or damaged it will certainly be detrimental. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
+1 Bill Leeper

Only the portion of the reamer that touches the lands and grooves will have an impact. The chamber body and neck is simply a containment vessel for the cartridge case. I once had a chip snag in the oil groove of a solid pilot that made quite a confumblement. I had to set the barrel back a couple of turns to clean it up. I have since taken to pushing oil trough the barrel and I don't buy reamers with solid pilots and oil grooves ground in them. I also had a barrel once with a tight spot in it. The removable pilot got stuck in the tight spot. It didn't do any damage to the barrel but the reamer cut 75% of the pilot away before I pulled the reamer to clear chips and noticed it. I suspect a solid pilot reamer would have done a lot of damage before one figured out what the hell was going on.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote