THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone here ever used this gunsmith?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted
http://www.cliogunshop.com/rebarreling.htm

I have an old tang safety ruger that I was going to have rebarreled into a .416 Taylor (not trying to build anything fancy here, just a good utility gun). Any info would be appreciated if anyone has good or bad experiences.

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bad!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that action long enough? I assume M77, non-MkII?

I think only the Ruger magnum action is long enough, but someone more familiar with 'em will chime in shortly.

One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
Jeff2855: Can you elaborate?

Claven2: It should be. It is the old tang safety long action.

My other considerations were 35 whelen or a 416AR (I think jeffeosso said it would work).

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used him for any work but I did buy a nice action from him. The action was exactly as billed and in very nice shape.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Said animal, the Taylor on Tang safety ruger, was available a couple of months ago at Cabelas. I called their main store, don't remember the details offhand, but if you are interested might give them a call. sounded like a custom project that wasn't quite finished but pretty close. just something to look at.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have dealt with Jerry just recently and found him to be a very stand up, honest guy to deal with. We did in fact get almost in an arguement over price. A reverse argument is a better word for it. He had 2 skeleton butt plates I bought from him. He told me to make an offer and I said $130 or $140. He said no way, he bought them over 10 years ago and $75 for both was sufficient. I thought it too little and sent him $100 and he in return included over $100 worth of grip caps and goodies in the package.

I have not had him do any metalwork but I would not hesitate and I would imagine that he can provide references if you need them.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff2855:
Bad!!!!!!!!!!

For someone to post a reply like this over the internet without any elaboration as to why he thinks a business is "Bad!!!!!" is bullshit.

Please share with us your first hand experience with this fellow that prompted that response. I'll hang up and listen...

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Malm. New member with 5 posts. OK that doesn't mean you don't know what you are talking about. But please share the details so we can then form an intelligent opinion based on fact. Otherwise for me at least your input goes into the garbage pile and any future posts are looked at skeptically.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
quote:
Bad!!!!!!!!!!

For someone to post a reply like this over the internet without any elaboration as to why he thinks a business is "Bad!!!!!" is bullshit.

Please share with us your first hand experience with this fellow that prompted that response. I'll hang up and listen...

I have to agree. Just declaring bad without any explanation is not only unhelpful, it is a bit suspect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff2855,
Either have the balls to back up your post or delete it. If it is just bull shit I suggest you apologize and then vaporize. Try reregistering as a decent member.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I sent my barrel to be bead blasted, and instead
he sand blasted it. It looked like crap and the barrel and action were full of sand.

One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sent my barrel to be bead blasted, and instead
he sand blasted it. It looked like crap and the barrel and action were full of sand.

Did they fix it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know who this poster is and do not recognize the job he is talking about or when this is supposed to have happened. Since we do not have sand blasting products or nozzles It would be rather difficult to do what I am being accused of. We do bead blast using the glass beads from Brownells. Any job that is bead blasted is thoroughly cleaned when we finish either in a parts washer or a hot rinse bluing tank. In addition all our work is guaranteed by us and all problems are resolved. All that it would take is a phone call and we will do whatever is required to fix the problem.
Gerald D. Stockinger
Clio Gun Shop

G. D. Stockinger
N.R.A. Life Member

www.cliogunshop.com

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clio Gun Shop:
I do not know who this poster is and do not recognize the job he is talking about or when this is supposed to have happened. Since we do not have sand blasting products or nozzles It would be rather difficult to do what I am being accused of. We do bead blast using the glass beads from Brownells. Any job that is bead blasted is thoroughly cleaned when we finish either in a parts washer or a hot rinse bluing tank. In addition all our work is guaranteed by us and all problems are resolved. All that it would take is a phone call and we will do whatever is required to fix the problem.
Gerald D. Stockinger
Clio Gun Shop

As you can tell by most of our posts, no one believes him. People who come on these sites and hide behind some anonymous identity and deliberately spread this type of bullshit without supporting documentation, or, a first hand grasp of the facts, are the worse type of scum and should be shunned by everyone.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Lfaler,

Based on Chic's reply and the reply from Gerald @ Clio Gunshop, I would certainly feel comfortable using them.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM Mr. Stockinger