New
Find
Notify
Tools

870 scope base options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I post here because this crowd will probably understand better.

I am required to use a shotgun and non-tox slugs for big game in one area I plan to hunt. The cantilever scope mounts give me the willies based on the mount being flexible. I have been told that my concerns are valid by a fiend who is a good shot.

I already have a Leupold 4x long eye relief scope. I would like to mount it right to a rifled barrel. Unfortunately I do not see any such barrels available, are there any?

I could machine a base and solder it to a barrel. Anyone done this, how did it work out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The major problem with a barrel mount is that the barrel on an 870 is never truly "tight". You can only torque the barrel nut so tight before the magazine tube breaks off in the threads. The mounts that replace the trigger group pins with screws are solid, the issue is that the barrel isn't and short of drilling and tapping some screws through the receiver and into the extension, there will always be a chance of some movement. However unless you are involved in an egg shoot accuracy will be MO deer.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Duane said the cure for that might be to put a block between the mound and receiver. Then drill and tap and run a screw into the receiver making it much more solid.

Just one idea if your receiver is already drilled and tapped just line up the holes.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Factory barrels have the scope mount brazed to the barrel to mitigate the loose barrel thing. The barrel extensions can also be screwed into the receiver to hold them tight. On my 1100 I mounted the scope to the receiver and epoxyed the barrel extension into the receiver; it don't move.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that putting a scope on the receiver is a poor idea. I also do not like the cantilever.

I want to attach (solder) a rail to the barrel and use a pistol scope. A "scout scope" set up. That allows a very solid mount and I can swap my barrels as needed. I see steel rail blanks are available. I would machine the underside to fit the barrel then sweat it on.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why do say that a scope on the receiver is a poor idea; I put mine on 35 years ago and it is a great idea; the scope is where it is supposed to be. You then have to affix the barrel extension to the receiver, which is easy; I glued mine in, and it does not move; or you can drill and tap and use screws. That is how the guys who shoot Remingtons seriously do it.
If you want a scout scope, then yes, you can solder a base to the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of guys that use cantilever rifled barrels for hunting deer in the county season here. It is definitely the most popular and accepted method in these parts. They have no problems with them at all. Stick with a short light scope like a 2x7 Leupold or the like. Most of these old farmers sight them in once and never touch them again. They shoot one or two shots before the season and then go blast a couple of deer. I saw one old guy shooting 2 liter coke bottles at 100 yards over the bench.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll try the cantilever.

The reason for not gluing the barrel to the action is that I need to be able to swap barrels for bird hunting.

The hunting will be done on a military reservation. I don't want to register any more guns with them than absolutely necessary.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling; hunted on a lot of military posts.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've come across two different types of cantilever Remington factory barrels. 20+ years ago I had one of the earlier 'springy' ones and didn't have a lot of confidence in it. It would however group the old foster type slugs adequately out to 100 yards. The newer cantileverd barrels are much stouter and aren't going to flex.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought a cantilever barrel years but it on a shot gun took it off never mounted a scope or fired a round through it.

When one lives in rifle country I couldn't find the need.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're required to use slug guns on deer around here. Your concerns about the cantilever are unfounded, they work very well.

You can pin the barrel to the receiver with a set screw so that it doesn't move when the action releases.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lapidary:
We're required to use slug guns on deer around here. Your concerns about the cantilever are unfounded, they work very well.

You can pin the barrel to the receiver with a set screw so that it doesn't move when the action releases.

+1. I know the concept sounds unappealing, but the cantilever scope mounts on those guns work fine for the accuracy you could expect from slugs. I'd just attach one of those and go hunting.

For an interesting view, check YouTube for a slow motion video of any scoped rifle firing. You'd be surprised how much even the strongest mounts and scopes move around under recoil. Gives you a new appreciation for how well scopes are made these days.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote