New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney or Shilen for Model 700
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
Although I truly want the Jewell HVR trigger for my 2 senderos I simply cannot afford them. My next choices are the Timney or Shilen, both priced around $70. Is there a clear cut winner here or is it just personal preference? I will want the weight set at around #2.5, it'll be used for both bench and hunting. Any opinions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat, only am thinking about the rifle basix also. Anybody got any opinions or knowledge of these triggers?

<G.Malmborg>
posted
I have used both the Rifle basix and Shilen and both offer great performance.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA-

I think you'll be happy with either.

I have Timneys in my hunting rifles, and they work great. My only experience with Shilens is their Competition model, measured in ounces, so it's not a fair comparison. (FWIW, they also work great, but for a different application). I imagine their "hunting" model is just as good.

<MOA>
posted
Thanks for the feedback guys. Should I holdout a little a save my pennies for the jewell? After reading the review over at sniper country I'm having second thoughts about settling for the cheaper triggers. http://www.snipercountry.com/JewellHVR.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA:
Should I holdout a little a save my pennies for the jewell?

For hunting, no. The trigger itself is very narrow. Fine for target & varmint, but if you're shooting Senderos, that means big game.

I have a couple Jewells, and honestly, for the cost difference, I won't be buying any more. Yeah, they're nice, but not two or three times nicer than the rest.

<John Lewis>
posted
Shilen's are definitely the better of the two. I like Timneys triggers for other things, but never have had real good luck with their 700 triggers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shilen.. most bang for the buck. Basix... just OK.

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
MOA,
I've tried both the Timney and the Shilen. I have no experience with Basix so cannot comment on them. Between the Timney and Shilen I think the Shilen is the better of the two. That said, I think you may want to save your money until you can get exactly what you want. Speaking for myself, I don't think I've ever really been happy with a compromise product. I currently have a Shilen trigger on my .22-250, but every time I miss a pdog, regardless of the range, I think about the Jewell trigger. Good luck. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where Coldbore is coming from about not using them on a hunting rifle, but I certainly don't concur with him.

So.. obviously I do use a Jewell on one of my main hunting rifles. I see absolutely no, none, zero reason not to use one on a hunting rifle. In my opinion it is the best made not much of a contest here.

So if you wanna save your pennies and get one then get after it, if you don't want to then the other options will do you just fine. But they will not be a Jewell.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've just installed a Rifle Basix (8oz.-1.5lbs) on my Rem 700 6/284. Nice- although I' like the creep a little less. Seems to be a fine line between not enough sear to cock and so much that I can feel the creep. I'll have to play w/ it some more. I really don't mind a little creep as long as its smooth -and it is.

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote