Find
Notify
Tools

need advise on stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello the campfire:
Here (I hope ) are some pictures of a stock that I am working on for my left handed son. He is rauther large (6'4'') 275lb, and needs a low cheek peice to properly sight through a scope, hence the lack of cheek peice. What do you suggest for the grip and forearm tips? What about checkering? I thinK it should be as simple as I can attractively go. Anyone have a patter to share? I have not checkered in about 35 years so I need something not too hard on my old eyes. 30-06
2005_070130-060088.jpg
2005_070130-060089.jpg
2005_070130-060090.jpg

Thanks for the help
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that didn't work
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Did you upload the pictures to an internet photo-hosting site? When I look at the links all I see is the names of the files, not a full URL for the pictures.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I did, but my son the computer expert is off this afternoon and I know less about this than Paris Hilton about moral behavior.
Judge Sharpe

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Read this link:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/951100671

It will tell you all you need to know to post pics here.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

maybe this will work, or not

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2005_070130-060090.jpg[/IMG]

trying again

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now!!!
sorry the image is os large. Hope that you are not so disgusted with me that you won't give me some advice
Your very humble svt.
Judge Sharpe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
Read this link:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/951100671

It will tell you all you need to know to post pics here.

Bill,

After reading the instructions on that link I think I‘ll stick with verbal descriptions of things! nut I got lost after the second “LC†and “PB.â€

Mr. “Analog-Man†here (me) is still trying to figure out how to retrieve messages from his cell phone.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rick,
First and most important, How is the boy (I know anyone in the service is a man, but at my age I think of all the young men haveing a go at it as boys) I hope that he is doing well. I think of him,and all of the other boys (and girls) every night in prayer.
I am computer illiterate. Even following directions is like rocket surgery to me. I am not impressed with my pictures. They do not show off the figure in the blenk and do not do it justice. I have rounded the forearm off to a pleasing conture and have put a rasp to the pistol grip to make it a little more shapley. I have kept the grip large and somewhat straighter than todays stocks because my son has large hands and likes a hand full of grip. I also cut the comb down so that it could be used right handed without a problem.
Have you used French Red on stocks recently? I have an old can from Herters that was not opened until last week. I remember using it years ago but can not remember the color.It did not look at all red. Also I used Lehigh finish which used to be listed in Brownells, but is not in the current issue. Is it as good as Tru-Oil for a simple finish. As I said, it has been years since I finished a new stock, and I mis-remember most of what I think I once knew.
Checkering pattern suggestions anyone?
Thanks again
Bill Brower Smiler