THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom Metal inletting how tight is too tight?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Picked up a restocked MKX a while back. Went to take it apart and the bottom metal had been glassed in place. I had to tap it out using a block of wood down through the top of the stock. The rear screw spacer is also glassed in place. The action is firmly glassed and there is a gap behind the tang.

I have never had one this tight. Do you inlet yours so the drop out? I normally inlet so a good pull on the bow will pop it out.

Just wondering if I should leave as is or hit it will some sand paper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Is it tight or does it actually stress/expand the stock? You don't want the later.

You don't want it to fall out, but it should be easily removable by hand without binding on either end.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it tight or does it actually stress/expand the stock? You don't want the later.

I can't see that it is expanding the stock. It appears the inletting was close then it was glass bedded. There is no way you are going to simply grab the bow and pull it out. When you put it back in place you can push it by hand to about 1/16" or so above the wood. Then you have to use a mallet or pull it into place with the screws.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

I can't see that it is expanding the stock. It appears the inletting was close then it was glass bedded. There is no way you are going to simply grab the bow and pull it out. When you put it back in place you can push it by hand to about 1/16" or so above the wood. Then you have to use a mallet or pull it into place with the screws.

That's to tight then. You shouldn't have to force it in at all. when I bed an action, I put a single layer of cellophane tape on all of the vertical surfaces of the trigger guard that will contact the stock. In addition, I use cellophane around the rear tang of the action. Everything else is dead tight on the receiver and horizontal surfaces of the trigger guard.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's to tight then. You shouldn't have to force it in at all. when I bed an action, I put a single layer of cellophane tape on all of the vertical surfaces of the trigger guard that will contact the stock. In addition, I use cellophane around the rear tang of the action

I pretty much do the same. Layer of black electrical tape around the bottom metal double layer along the rear curve and the tang.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it is tight from epoxy; that is ok as long as it started out not being too tight to where the wood is spread. If it is tight from wedging itself into the wood, that is bad.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

I'm just an amateur butcher/hack, but I believe that is far too tight. I guess it would depend where it is binding(it must be binding if you have to force it in, right?)

I owned a custom stocked rifle that split at the web due to the bottom metal being too tight. Jim Carmichael wrote of a rifle that he owned that had the barrel channel inletted so tightly to the barrel that the fore-end split after he had owned it for several years.

All of the knowledgeable people(custom gun builders, custom gun experts/writers) I have read seem to believe that the magazine box/bottom metal must be "free" as any binding can split the stock when it swells and shrinks with varying humidity.

If you think about how much your wood stock swelled when it went through the soaking during your move you can see why they would say that.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is "draft" on all the exterior surfaces of the bottom metal except the round portion on the front, the part that encases the front guard screw. If you relieve that portion of the glass bedding, it should just fall out witha slight "wiggle". I normally put a shim of some tape when inletting it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
All too often glass bedding gets into the guard screw hole where the front "pillar" on the guard fits into. This will make the fit extremely tight.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
After sleeping on it while it might work as it is I would always wonder if this is the shot it will split.

Since I leave for Houston bright and early on Friday hopeing to be back around the Feb 19th. It will give me something to play with once they allow me to lift something heavier than my tooth brush.

Jason shocker I'd almost forgotten that. NOT!!!! But I wish I could Wink

Yep before it is shot bottom metal will be worked on.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K