THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Ignore this post - with a little research, I just answered my own question

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ignore this post - with a little research, I just answered my own question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would these serbian made mausers be a good foundation for a rebarreling project (.375 H&H) for a novice rifle builder?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the less money I would look at the BRNO Persian Mausers at Samco Global complete gun is $200 and a barreled action is available in two grades with 180 top dollar.

http://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles.html

They also have M98K actions for the same price.

Mitchell is pretty proud of their goods in my opinion. I would also rather have the BRNO versions over the M-48, and all the Mitchell marketing about being made with free labor, is pucky so were the BRNO's and they were finished a lot better, the Czech's at the BRNO factory built fine rifles.

Edit: You should look into some archived posts this is covered in depth.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I think the Mitchell's is a M48, Now I'm not positive but I think the M48 is a little shorter than a M98 and considered an intermediate action.

Someone will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong. Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Careful,

I am not near my reference books at the moment but there are two M-48's.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I imagine you're referring to the model 48 yugo. These are intermediate length actions (shorter than a standard 98). They were designed for 8 x 57 mm. without much extra length. Don't believe there would be any way to make this conversion work.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 6 of these when they were $99.95 apiece. (not from Mitchells).They looked to have never been issued.
There are M48's (all milled parts), M48a's (stamped trigger guard, floorplate, and barrel band), M48 BO (stamped or milled parts but without crest or other markings). All made in the same plant. These are the same basic action as an FN 24 dimension wise. There's more to it than this, but this is the short version. Don't know of any other m-48 MAUSERS.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The archived posts told me all I need to know. What a great resource.

Most people's opinions on the serbian mausers (for customzing) were unfavorable, and I won't be considering this action.

Thanks all
-al

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote