New
Find
Notify
Tools

enough left
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
bewilderedwould ther be enough barrel diameter left on a standard military mauser barrel to set back and rechamber to 7.92x33??

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never ever.

You have to shorten the barrel by 24 mm at the end. (57-33 mm).
But the barrel shank diameter is not enough to cut the thread.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2hank You Sir!,,,I could have checked for myself,but for the first time since I don't know when,,I don't have a military barrel on hand!!I will have to order one from Walther,as it is a standard chambering for them.Has anyone here used this caliber for hunting?,,my oldest brother used one during the war,but from an auto not a Mauser system.

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good smith can install a sleeve over the chamber area to allow the barrel to be used. The sleeve will thread into the receiver and will have internal threads and a shoulder to bear against the receiver face; the barrel will thread into the sleeve and have a shoulder to bear against the front of the sleeve. This is a common, simple and straightforward process for most applications.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2Thanks JD,,,I'd like to say that I'd 'ave thought of that sooner or later!!!for the cost,I'm just going with the Walther bbl.,mil.bbl.s are cheap enough to play with,,,but if I am going to build anyway,might as well just do it!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD

Yes it can be done the way you described, but imho I would no longer call someone a good smith for such advise except for the unlikely situation that the barrel on hand is far and wide the only you can come by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of us who were raised by old-fashioned folks in a rural or semi-rural area have long been accused of 'making do' with the materials at hand, in order to save money, time or both. I wouldn't recommend the sleeving practice to a wealthy person ot someone willing to spend the money for a custom job. I was taught the method back in the very early '60s by a local toolmaker who had been a child of The Depression, and it has long been a mainstay of smiths working old single shot rifles, see Frank de Haas's books.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
JD

Yes it can be done the way you described, but imho I would no longer call someone a good smith for such advise except for the unlikely situation that the barrel on hand is far and wide the only you can come by.

This subject got wrung out fairly well a few years back; as I recall, the consensus was there is nothing wrong with this method.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prethreaded barrel :

150,- $

Sleeving/Threading the old barrel is done in 2 hours ?

A good smith will charge 100 & per hour ?

Chambering and headspacing in both cases amount the same.

Correct me if I´m wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Lots of us who were raised by old-fashioned folks in a rural or semi-rural area have long been accused of 'making do' with the materials at hand, in order to save money, time or both. I wouldn't recommend the sleeving practice to a wealthy person ot someone willing to spend the money for a custom job. I was taught the method back in the very early '60s by a local toolmaker who had been a child of The Depression, and it has long been a mainstay of smiths working old single shot rifles, see Frank de Haas's books.
Regards, Joe
I used to love to watch old-timers work out a fix whether they had the $$ or not,,,I learned to do alot with a little from these folks and the world is a bit more boring as they pass

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
Prethreaded barrel :

150,- $

Sleeving/Threading the old barrel is done in 2 hours ?

A good smith will charge 100 & per hour ?

Chambering and headspacing in both cases amount the same.

Correct me if I´m wrong.

I don't charge near that much. More like $40/ hr. Depends on how well I like doing the job. I always tell the customer what it is going to cost before I start. Sometimes I under estimate the time it will take, but not often, my loss. ....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote