New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Craftsman, Tiger Stripe Maple Info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The stock has no stain, just several rubbed in coats of true oil. And some 600 grit hand sanding. This maple has a lot of color and figure, some stocks are darker with more reds and browns than the one pictured. It is Pacific NW Big Leaf Maple, cut locally here on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington state. We have blanks with more figure than the one in the photo, plus some have the "Flame" or "Sunset" grain and color.
We have about 100 blanks in the drying shed if you are interested, plus a dozen or so that are around 10 to 12 percent moisture, just right for working into a stock. A rifle stocked in Flame is nearly complete, this one is unbelievable. I will post photos when it is finished.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

My Warden sometimes allows me to respond to email. NEW Address is rifles@earthlink.net

***********Jail Flash*******
Web site under construction: http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 01-03-2002).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my Contender stocked with some of that same maple:

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John

Thanks for the info. The stocks are certainly good looking. It's amazing the 416 stock is so dark with no stain.

Keep posting the pictures.

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote