Find
Notify
Tools

ER Shaw Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
ER Shaw Barrels, good, bad, or indifferent? How do they stack up against Shilen, Pac-Nor, and the like.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive had two rifles rebarelled by them (222 Rem, 7x57 Mauser). They both shoot very well. I will have to say that the bores may foul a little sooner than others, but that has not affected the accuracy of either rifle. I would have them do another.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
HERE WE GO AGAIN [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
My only experience with E.R.Shaw barrels is in removing them.

Malm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm,

I have more experience than that. Not only do I remove them, I delegate them directly to the $hit can. I can't bvelieve we are visiting this again.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on now the guy has 13 posts and is asking a legitimate question.
Jason I don't know anything about them. As far as what I have "heard" it is a crapshoot. Some people like them some don't. I get the impression that having one of these is like finding the hunchback chick at bartime or riding a moped, it's cool till your friends see you... [Eek!] Save the money and go with a sure thing would be my advice. [Smile]

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a low dollar replacement barrel, then they fit that category, and you should be happy with the results. Same as Midway's A&B barrels.

If you are paying a good gunsmith to fit a barrel to an action, then it is a waste of money to use anything other then a top notch barrel. Just as using a good barrel, and a crappy gunsmith is a waste of money.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Jason,

E.R Shaw at one time had a reputation of producing budget grade barrels of questionable quality. I don't know what has happened as of late, but those produced in the past, were not properly heat treated or stress relieved. You never knew what you were getting.

In the gun building business, the barrel is the one aspect of the weapon the gunsmith has no control over, unless of course he happens to build his own barrels. Because of this, he must choose a barrel of proven quality and performance, from a manufacturer who will stand behind their product. My advise to you would be to spring for a barrel of known quality for your project...

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I've used 8 or so Shaw barrels on various hunting rifles and have never had any problems with them. These were all chambered/installed at Shaw's plant, which isn't too far away from me here in SW Pa.

I've also used barrels from McGowen, Pac-Nor, Douglas and Hart to good effect.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason-

Welcome to the AR forums.

Forgive these guys. [Razz] It's just that this topic comes up semi-regularly here. However, with 13 posts, we can't expect you to have read all of them. Don't let them run you off that easily.

As most have said above, you are really taking a shot in the dark (so to speak [Wink] ) with a Shaw barrel. You may get lucky, or you may end up unhappy, and spending the money on a different barrel anyway. Spend it once & be done with it. For the time, money, and effort involved in having a new barrel installed, you really are better off spending just a little bit more, and getting something of known quality.

[ 01-04-2003, 20:43: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

<t_bob38>
posted
What will you be using your rifle for, Jason?

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Jason
I do apologize for posting my cynical remark I should have noticed you were a new member. I will assure you that you have met with good people with a wealth of knowledge here at AR.
As for the Shaw barrels the only experience I have with them is second hand. My gunsmith, about 3 or 4 months ago heard they had retooled and were producing good barrels again. He ordered one and built a .270 WSM on a Remington action. Not only did it not shoot very well, it fouled like crazy.
So for my $50 or so more I would buy a Pac-Nor Douglas etc.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason-

Just sent you a Private Message with some info. Would've done email, but being the observant shooter that I am, I didn't see an email icon above your post, then after I sent the PM, I see that your name is your email! And I wonder why I don't shoot so good sometimes... [Embarrassed]