New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Big Bore Plunge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on the Big Bore forumn but wanted to be sure the 'smiths out there can comment.

I have wanted a 416 bore for some time with the hopes for buffalo in the future and just plain fun until then. I also wanted it to be a "full dress" classic so began researching the options and costs. My intent was to either build one on an FN action (416 Taylor) that I had or buy a new Win M70 (416 Remington) and have its metal and wood worked over. I kicked around the CZ and Ruger as well. It quickly became apparent and no surprise really that it gets real expensive real fast. So I recently stumbled into a 416 Rigby Dakota African in about mint condition. Something I just never would have considered. Slight bluing wear on the muzzle and floor plate edges with as new wood. Metal-wise it has the dropped belly magazine, quarter rib with one fixed leaf, 2 panel checkered bolt knob, skeleton grip cap w/ wood checkered, gold oval (blank) and a barrel band swivel all nicely matte blued. The stock is XXX Bastogne with an ebony forend tip, wrap around point checkering, twin cross bolts, shadowline cheekpiece and inletted swivel base. All in all, the wood is very pretty with proper grain flow. It also comes up surprising well with the iron sites. I was able to pick it up for $3100 which I thought was a pretty good deal given the apparent (to my somewhat green knowledge) quality of the piece. Also, the Rigby round just makes me... well you know. Anyone own one of these or have comments, good or bad, about them? Also, I removed the action from the stock which is very tightly bedded and noted that there was no secondary lug on the barrel. Is this OK?

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakota? You done good, boy!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote