New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Single Six Reassembly Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My father in law gave me a Ruger single six .22. A nice gesture, but it was completely disassembled. I managed to get everything reassembled except the mainspring. How in the world do you accomplish this? My sore fingers appreciate any help. [Big Grin]

Posts: 117 | Location: Newark, Oh, USA | Registered: 14 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either make sure the revolver is unloaded... BETTER YET....REMOVE the cylinder and pin from the frame.

Set the spring between the jaws of a benchvise which is firmly closed on the bottom end of the strut. Not so tight so as to mar the metal, tho.

Slide the spring over the hammer end of the strut. (it's the ball like end, viewed crosswise)

Slide the spring retainer plate over the end of the strut and into place on the top of the spring.

With a needlenose plier, press down the plate until the retaining pin hole can be seen.

Slide in the cross pin ( a finishing nail works just fine.... Don't use a toothpick ) to hold the plate and spring in place, for installation into the grip.

Install captive spring and strut assy into the grip.

Cock the hammer making sure, as it rolls back, that everything is lined up.

Once that hammer is cocked ( and held by the trigger in that position )... remove the crosspin.

You're done except for installing the grips and the cylinder, if removed.

It's easier than it sounds and takes less time to do than to describe. You will find that Ruger won't help because this is an OLD MODEL. All they want to do is convert it to the transfer bar system, for liability reasons I guess. What you have will have a better trigger pull... for sure.

Have fun with it, they are nice shooters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for he info. I'll give it a try tonight and hopefully be shooting by tomorrow! I haven't put the cylinder on yet, so the safety aspect is taken care of. Again, thanks!

Posts: 117 | Location: Newark, Oh, USA | Registered: 14 April 2002Reply With Quote