New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of making a stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much should I anticipate having to spend to have a stock made for a single shot 1885 Winchester, cut, shaped, finished, and installed~? I already own the blank.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
Start at $500 and go up!!! I always charged more when others furnish the wood and recoil pads. Keep looking and maybe you can find a new person trying to get into the stockmaking world and will give you a break on cost.

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
add a zero if you want something really nice (Shurley prices)

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CPA (http://singleshotrifles.com/) that I referenced in your other inquiry would charge about the following (from dealing with them, and their website pricing):

Extend customer blank to fit duplicator $10
Set up for customer stock duplicating $45
Duplicate Stock $80
Fit Winchester stock $95
Fit Buttplate $50
Sand and finish buttstock only $475

That totals $755 plus shipping. Add another $200 or so to do the forearm.

They are on the lower end of cost for this type of work, and the work is good, but not guild or show quality.

I hate to price someone else's work; you would really need to call and get a quote and set the quality level you expect to get a firm price; but I'd expect most decent custom stockmakers would charge $850 to $1500 for a custom duplicated stock, fit and finished from your blank. It would go up from there with higher skill/better finish. CPA is really about the best deal going out there.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Depends on the level of quality you want. Just like pricing; quality varies from absolute dog feces quality to top notch quality. Pricing usually coincides. For me, anything less than $3500 for an easy to fit up stock type I’d assume just apply myself elsewhere. Bolt guns once again more, sidelock guns higher. I won’t lessen my quality to meet a price point, there are other people who can do that.

Duplicating services are the same, I’ve seen cheap services where it would have been money saved to just start from the blank. Or worse yet have to trash a blank because of it. Likewise a guy like Gene Simillion does outstanding work, so long as the pattern is good. The results he produces are more than worth their higher rates in time saved.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I remember Beitzinger commenting that from a blank to a stock took on average 40 hrs. Maybe not including checkering and maybe not finishing.

This was probably while at G&H.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Far too many variables to come to that conclusion. What kind of gun, made to what standard, what options(shadowline cheak, sling studs, various grip caps, butt plates, skeleton bits, etc…), what kind of finish, checkering patterns vary wildly. 100-150hrs is a realistic expectation for a high end bolt gun stock with oil finish, and wrap around patterns. Poly finishes and simple patterns reduce time. Not having cheakpieces or other more time consuming bits to do reduces time.

So the question becomes, what is the craftsman’s hourly rate?

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ Gould is getting closer to reality.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$3000 to $3500 for a decent full blown custom rifle stock, and maybe twice that, too many factors to give an exact price, cost to make it? is one question, cost to buy one finished? the sky is the limit..variation in cost of wood is the catch...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The OP posed a loaded question lacking any parameters. Is he just looking for a functional handle like what came on it from the factory? Or is he looking for a finely crafted example like Roger posted recently from family homestead grown lumber?
Time = $$$
A stock is a stock is a stock??
KNOT!

Don't forget all the $$ spend shipping and re-finishing the metalwork. Expecting the stockmaker not to disturb the existing patina is asking a little much. Unless he's willing to pony up the extra $$ for the pain in the a$$ to walk on eggshells up close to the action. I stocked a fully engraved Perazzi once while preserving the metalwork. Adds a lot of time and pucker to the project.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This is in the category of "If you have to ask....."
You know.
True custom stocks from top makers cost real money.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Regarding restocking guns and avoiding existing metal finish. My butt was quenched tight during the restock of two pre-war Woodward o/u’s. Talk about anxiety.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com