Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

opening up a fixed full choke
 Login/Join

posted
I have an old ithaca model 37 with a fixedfull choke.I was wanting to get back into waterfowl hunting again so I looked into tungston shot and here in ontario the cheapest I could find it was $58.95 for 10 rds.I am now wondering about getting the full choke opened to mod or imp-cyl so I can shoot steel.I have heard of other people doing this and never having a problem.Was looking for some advice on wether this was a good idea or not.Local gunsmith will do it for $100

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it.Get a Mossberg with adjustable chokes and keep that old 37 original. Just my two cents.

johnsgunsmithing@live.com
Sothern California
Anything Legal
Rifles,Shotguns,Handguns,Blackpowder

Posts: 19 | Location: Monterey Park C.A. | Registered: 06 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might get a local guy to do anything.
I would check with one of the places like Briley that makes a living with choke tubes if the steel in your barrel is thick enough and hard enough for steel shot.
That said you can buy a nice used pump for $250 that will have interchangeable tubes and will be well suited for steel shot.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Are barrels that hard to find for Ithacas these days? I believe there are a few shotgun men in this country who specialize in used barrels and have hundreds on hand at any given time.

I suspect you could get a whole 'nother barrel for your Ithaca for $100 or less, certainly notmuch more, with pretty much whatever choke you want.

Here is one place to start:

www.corsonsbarrels.com/main.html

Hoosier Gun Works is another.

Lots more out there if you Google "Used Shotgun Barrels"

That way you could also have the original barrel for your gun, unaltered, and shoot steel shot at the same time.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the reason I am not real concerened with altering it is because I have another model 37 full choke that is in way better shape,and an ithaca model 300XL semi.If it was the only 37 I had I would not even be thinking of doing this.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That would be about right. Although I think I'd charge a wee bit less if the barrel was removable. (not that familiar with the M37)

This is how I opened up my 870 fixed choke. Set it up in a v block on the mill and bored it out to correct size. took longer to set up then anything else

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
just got back from the gunsmith and after him measuring everything found out its between imp modified and modified now.He said he wouldnt be scared to shoot steel out of it,but suggested black cloud ammo saying they have a better wad that stays with the pellets better and are a little easier on the barrel

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Local gunsmith will do it for $100

I bet he will! Thats utterly insane. Non chrom lined barrels. I charge $45.00 & thats plenty for that job.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
problem being in my area hes the only gunsmith within 150 miles.being a gunsmith maybe you could give me your opinion,measured at the muzzle it is .692 bore and thickness at muzzle is .062(from what I have found is improved modified?).In your opinion do you think I would be safe be shooting steel and maybe recomend what shells.I honestly do not know what to think of this gunsmith even though I know he does do alot of the warranty work for Savage here in Canada

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Choke is not a bore diameter but a difference between bore diameter and muzzle constriction.

Not knowing the bore dia behind the choke you will never know what you true choke is.

Wall thickness is fine as long as the constriction is good to.

.692" is near an extra full choke if the bore is .730"
If what your smith is say is true your bore would have to be .717" for you to have a Modified to improved mod choke.

Something don't add up but you still need to know the bore diameter behind the choke to be sure

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i guess with my regular caliper theres no way for me to figure this out on my own?I know it probably doesnt mean anything but I measured the inside of my 300XL with full choke and it was .681 compared to .692 on the 37 and I know patterning the 2 with same shells the semi is far tighter.I apologize for all the questions,just dont know alot about shotguns

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Is the barrel removable??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

posted Hide Post
yes it is removable

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Do you want to send it to california?? I'll mic it tell you what size everything is and adjust the choke if needed

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a google search on interchange of 37 Ithaca barrels. I ran into this in the Mid '70's.
http://forums.gunbroker.com/to...asp?TOPIC_ID=349378, This site explains this best without me trying to tell what happens. Shotguns need to be fitted properly and yes they do have headspace head guages to make sure you are safe to shoot. We fitted several different shotgun barrels.

The Ithaca 37 was a feather weight model and it will kick like a mule with the heavy loads. Go buy a new shotgun with the correct alloy barrel for the steel shot and be safe.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used my M37 with waterfowl loads and like the previous poster said, it was brutal! As much as I love that old shucker I'll not use it for that purpose anymore. There are too many guns out there better suited to that task, but if you are hell bent on doing it, send the barrel to a competent smith to have it measured and reamed. To do less is irresponsible.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks everybody for all the advice,I think I will keep it for what it was meant for and start looking for a cheap waterfowl gun instead of taking my chances with it.The recoil of heavy loads doesnt bother me but I dont a screwed barrel either.Thanks for all the advice and help again.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
An 870 Express would be a good start. Cheep and comes with Rem chokes.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

posted Hide Post
yeah I was thinking either a 870 or Weatherby pump.Want something cheaper for now and save up for a new ithaca.Thanks kscott for the offer and advice.I can just hear the wife now OH YEAH ANOTHER F***IN GUN! HAHA

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Hey tell her it's cheeper to buy a new one then modify the one you have. Or do what i normally do Just buy the damn thing and worry about it later. I guess that's why I'm divorced Big Grin

If I had a Gun to trade you I'd trade for the Ithica 37. I've been looking for a decent one for years but never found a good one when I had money in my pocket.I've got a Fixed choke wingmaster thats seen better days I'd let go But that would be my shotgun and some cash from me on that trade. I don't know what 37's are going for now days but they were pretty pricey back a few years.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

posted Hide Post
being in canada a standard grade new M37 is $1050 and a AAA grade is around $1500.Everything when it comes to firearms is a lot pricier up here.Its also harder to find the new ones here.I really dont think I would trade it in on anything anyway.I just love the way the old girl comes up and swings too much.I guess if I would have thinking when buying them I should have found one with a modified choke for this steel issue,oh well.I have went up against alot of guys in turkey shoots using new guns with extra-full chokes and there aint to many that can beat my semi with the 30 inch barrel.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yeah thats about what they were going for a few years back. Plus or minus a little based on condition. Oh well good luck to you in your search. I was just looking at a few Browning Auto 5's love those guns as well They are like an old Model T. They may be old and nearly obsolete But I still love em.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

posted Hide Post
good luck finding you browning (they were a beauty too)and thanks again Jeff