New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako -short action-magnum boltface?
 Login/Join

<K9>
posted
This has probably been covered before but a search didn't turn up much.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to build a 350 Rem mag or a 458X2" American on a short action Sako (308 Win) Forester or Hunter. Seem to remember reading that it isn't possible but my memory is short......

Cheers
K9

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .532" rim may be a tad large to comfortably fit the L579, if that's the action you're thinking of. As an alternative, think about a wildcat based on the .284 Winchester, which is almost identical in capacity to the .350 Remington case, and would require only opening the magazine feed rails by a tiny bit to function.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
Stonecreek
The L579 is, I think, another designation on the Forester model. Im interested in building on one of those or the action (Hunter) that came after it. I was hoping to be able to use factory brass with remington offering ammo/cases again. I have given some thought to wildcats (fx 458"2) but aren't sure if I'm that interested in ALL aspects of handloading....... [Roll Eyes] Maybe..??
The .284 case has a rebated rim wich might cause trouble??
Wonder if it would be possible to stick a .458 bullet in a .284 Win case...??? Hmm, rebated rim, fat little cartridge, small shoulder... [Roll Eyes] But wait....looks like a recreation of the .45 Blaser [Eek!] [Razz] [Big Grin]
//K9

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any problems caused by the rebated rim. The rim itself is about .470 (the same diameter as the .30-06 family of cartridges) while the case body is slightly larger -- or similar in diameter to a belted magnum case body. The Browning Safari rifle was built in .284 Winchester on the Sako L579 action, as an example, and it required virtually no modification from its original configuration.

A straight cylindrical .284 case with minimal taper would just about accomodate a .458 bullet. The problem is that it would have to headspace on the mouth (like a .45 ACP), which might be a little marginal for a rifle cartridge. I think I would only consider chambering a .284 wildcat for something which had a reasonable shoulder. .375 would certainly work, and .416 MIGHT work, but the shoulder would be getting pretty narrow. The .35/284 Wildcat is fairly common and performs similarly to the .35 Whelan. If you want something with a European flavor, you could use a .366 or 9.3mm bullet.

Later medium-length Sako actions (S-591, M75-III), etc. MAY have a slightly larger bolt diameter which would allow enlarging the bolt face to accept a magnum shell head, but I am not familiar with these actions. Maybe someone who has worked with them could comment.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote