New
Find
Notify
Tools

Etronex conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone converted a remington 700 etronex rifle back to the orginal fireing pin confiquration. Is it possible and how much trouble is it.

Posts: 161 | Location: houma louisiana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would cheaper just to buy a couple thousand primers and shoot the barrel out. I think the etronx was one of the 'before its time' things. I think the only reason it didnt catch on was because us shooters are too cheap to pay extra for primers. I think remington said they would make them for so long (was it 10 years???)

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It probably costs about as much as a decent used 700. You need a bolt and trigger at a minimum. I have one but I can't recall if you have to modify the stock where the cable assembly pugs into the stock.

A secondary problem lies in the fact that none of the removed parts have any resale value. So you gut a $600 rifle (used value)to end up with a $400 rifle after you spend $250.00 on it.

The other option is to hang on to it and hope you llive long enough to see it become interesting to collectors. If you want to continue shooting it, primers anre and will be available for a good while. The price fluctuates wildly but if you're patient you can snatch them up for between $75 and $85 per thousand.

The last option and the one I am taking is to rebarrel it in a good subsonic caliber and eventually supress it. Money, time and other projects have delayed buying a supressor for mine but with the electronic action, it will be the world's quietest high power rifle one day.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the action still have the cut out where the orginal trigger mechanism would fit. Reason why i ask is I have a trigger and a hs precision stock, If I can pull this thing off with just a bolt and handle it may be worth my wild. Remington has seemed to discontinue anything that resembles a lite varmit gun or they use that herendous rough ss finish on the new sps.

Posts: 161 | Location: houma louisiana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes, the action is a standard 700.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote