New
Find
Notify
Tools

What? Barrels are "restricted" now?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ordered a .224 barrel blank from Numerich Gun Parts and it's been cancelled for
being "restricted" items? What is going on?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's an import/export issue. The U.S. is making exports of guns and certain gun parts difficult, and Canada is making the import of certain gun parts difficult.

George

[ 06-05-2002, 19:12: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Lock, Stock and Barrel, they can't even ship scopes to Canada anymore. I feel sorry for you Canucks....

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just received a barrel in the mail yesterday from the US. I think the rule on the US side is they can ship parts if not over $100.00. This barrel was under that amount, but I did receive one in the last year that was over that amount. It seems to be a hit and miss type of situation with some willing to sell and others not.
If you do a search there was a topic on Canadian barrel makers, the prices are competitive and excellent barrels.

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately many dealers in the US seem to get an idea that they can't ship to Canada and give up very easily. Midway for example won't even send a catalogue to Canada (they say they don't get across the border), Brownells charges $10 in extra fees to ship to Canada (which is a killer on small orders). I really feel it is our duty to do everything to the letter of the law and still make it work for shooters on both sides of the border. We manufacture fiberglass stocks in Canada and we ship through a customs broker to the US. We lose money on shipping on every stock to the US but we still do it. We have to for our business but we want to do it for shooters. Government is just a block to get around - legally - but to get around!

<dcan>
posted
ianrobertson what is your co. and how does one get in touch with you?

<Corner Boar>
posted
There are a couple of excellent Canadian barrel makers. I have no experience with Rob's barrels but I have several of Ted's and they are shooters. (Just as an aside I talked with Frank Green at Krieger and he said they are having no trouble shipping to Canada.)

Ted Gaillard
Box 21,
Pathlow SK.
S0K 3B0
1-306-752-3769
http://www.shootingpaul.homestead.com/GAILLARD. html

Rob Maclennen
General Delivery
Wyebridge, Ontario
L0K 2E0
(705) 526-2159

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Midway. Good news is that Brownell�s, Sinclair and Cabela�s are willing to ship abroad.

H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

The way I understand it, anything over $100 needs a permit from the US government!?

I dare anyone to tell me this has ANYTHING to do with terrorism. So why are we as shooters are being singled out again for special treatment?

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is how Brownells explains the export rules.

"Many of the items we ship are classified as Gun Parts. For Exporting purposes the following rules apply:

Export License Required on all Actions, Barreled Actions, Pistol Frames, Barrels, Barrel Liners, and Cylinders.
Export license Required if you order Gun Parts valued over $100.00 U.S.
A Gun Part is: "Any item necessary to the operation of the weapon."

Examples of Gun Parts are: triggers, sear springs, hammers, safeties, magazines, grips. Please contact us to receive the Overseas Order Information Booklet, (#077-100-193) which explains the entire exporting procedure, or click here to view these requirements (English only)

Please plan ahead when ordering Gun Parts. The process of getting an Export License may take as long as 30 days. These licenses come from The U.S. State department and are good for this one order only.

Orders requiring Export Licenses will be sent by BAX Global or Parcel Post. UPS or FedX do not send orders requiring Export Licenses. If you wish to use other freight forwarders, list them on your order. They must be registered with the U.S. State Department in order to ship Gun Parts. There is a $50.00 initial setup fee for using these "other" freight forwarders"

Note that the $100.00 only applies to gun parts other than barrels, barrelled actions, receivers, etc. These items require an export permit no matter their cost.

This all started happening before 9/11. I was turned down by gun Parts Inc for a barrel in the summer of 2000.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Thanks for your attention. I do appreciate it.

Saeed,

If these high quality barrels/parts ever got into the hands of the terroists, they might be harder to beat [Big Grin] , imagine Krieger barrelled AK-47s or bomb casing machined from a solid barstock....

Corner Boar,

Thanks for the additional link, I have copied the entire Canadian Barrel Makers thread.

Mauser98,

Thanks for clearing the new regulations up, very well informed.

Now I am going to phone one of these fine Canadian barrel makers...

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Rock'in in the free world"
(Neil Young)

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote