New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adams and Bennett Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have been in a few heated discussions on this site about the accuracy and quality of the A&B barrels. i have been wanting a 7x61 sharpe and hart super for years now. i was on E-bay one day and found an H&M reamer dated 1952 for sale and bought it and also found some old RCBS dies too. and set out to build the rifle. first i had to find some brass and believe me everyone that has some wants whore house prices for it. so i looked in the handy dandy cartridge conversion book and it says to make it out of .300 win mag. boy was he wrong!!!! it can be very easily made by using 7mm rem mag brass and backing off your resizing die 2 turns and tighten the die 1/2 turn after every stroke of the press until you have it full length sized. i decided i would use and A&B barrel blank to see if i even liked this thing. so to prove a point i put this thing in the lathe and indicated it in by eye!!! no gauges. and to prove another point i drilled out the first 1.5" with a snap-on drill bit. i reamed it and found out the reamer had an extremely short throat and cound not set the bullets out where i wanted them so i pulled the barrel off and ran in a .280 remington reamer to throat the barrel some. i wanted to set the bullets out to 3.280" i installed this thing on a Interarms MKx that has had the bolt face trued and lugs lapped and a butler creek stock that had been on the action before and was glas-bedded to it. i worked up a load of 60 gr. of H-4831sc and some 160 gr. Speer mag tips and right off the bat it shot 2 in the same hole and 3 staggered outside it some i guess about a 1" group but hell i was shooting off the hood of my jeep. i went back to the shop and used the same load but used 162gr. Hornaday BTSP bullets this time because the .280 ackley i have loves them. went back to the range and used the same jeep hood and shot a 3. shot clover leaf you can cover with a penny and 2 i pulled off some being as i was shooting off a hood for goodness sakes. i left this barrel 26.5" and left the halfed assed target crown they put on it from the factory. i am dully impressed with it to say the least and i haven't even polished and blued the barrel yet and wouldn't be afraid to take it ELK elk hunting the way it is and it out shoots the Weatherby VGX i used to have in 7mm Rem mag. and it out shoots the .30-338 Shilen barrel i took off the action to put this cheapo barrel on for this experement. by the way the scope is an old Redfield tracker my brother in law gave me that h dropped off a cliff that is all dinged up on the eye piece and has numerous scratches in the eye piece optic as well. my price on the A&B barrel blanks are about $67 and for the money it shoots as good as barrels 3 that cost 3 times more. and as far as having to dial a barrel in within 1/10,000th of an inch or it won't shoot. BULLSHIT save that crap to impress someone that doesn't know any better.

Posts: 36 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark

You better be pretty careful here, you're going to put 1/2 the smiths, most of the know-alls and all of the "riflemen" outa business. Hell you'll start a new facet of the sport called "hood shootin" and we'll all have to build special ranges to accomodate it. Before long we'll have rifles shooting 0.3 groups using $39 barrels, and in 10 years it'll be 0.2 groups with $31 barrels !!

I would say two things about this, one is you can obviously shoot well, and secondly cartridge components have improved hugely in the last 25 - 35 years. Many of the old clunkers that one can get at any secondhand shop, with bores that look as if they served in both wars will shoot well using modern loads.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well the hell of it is i have a buddy that lets me use his ranch down the road a piece to fire off all the rifles i build for customers and i set up a range with 100 and 200 and 300 yard markers to shoot from so i just left my nice bench i built and my targets down there and his damned cows had their way with them and flattened them. so until the weather gets better and i can build new benches and targets i guess i'll be shooting off the hood of the jeep. i had a buddy that was shooting at a coyote leaning across a hood on a new ford bronco with a .300 weatherby shoot thru our other buddys hood not paying attention left a streak across the hood until it went thru and took out the battery and a big hole out the fender!!!!! GOD that was funny.

Posts: 36 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the gun just likes to be shot over the hood of the Jeep. See if you get the same results shooting over say a Ford, or, a Chevy. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark d. skaggs:
i have been in a few heated discussions on this site about the accuracy and quality of the A&B barrels. i have been wanting a 7x61 sharpe and hart super for years now. i was on E-bay one day and found an H&M reamer dated 1952 for sale and bought it and also found some old RCBS dies too. and set out to build the rifle. first i had to find some brass and believe me everyone that has some wants whore house prices for it. so i looked in the handy dandy cartridge conversion book and it says to make it out of .300 win mag. boy was he wrong!!!! it can be very easily made by using 7mm rem mag brass and backing off your resizing die 2 turns and tighten the die 1/2 turn after every stroke of the press until you have it full length sized. i decided i would use and A&B barrel blank to see if i even liked this thing. so to prove a point i put this thing in the lathe and indicated it in by eye!!! no gauges. and to prove another point i drilled out the first 1.5" with a snap-on drill bit. i reamed it and found out the reamer had an extremely short throat and cound not set the bullets out where i wanted them so i pulled the barrel off and ran in a .280 remington reamer to throat the barrel some. i wanted to set the bullets out to 3.280" i installed this thing on a Interarms MKx that has had the bolt face trued and lugs lapped and a butler creek stock that had been on the action before and was glas-bedded to it. i worked up a load of 60 gr. of H-4831sc and some 160 gr. Speer mag tips and right off the bat it shot 2 in the same hole and 3 staggered outside it some i guess about a 1" group but hell i was shooting off the hood of my jeep. i went back to the shop and used the same load but used 162gr. Hornaday BTSP bullets this time because the .280 ackley i have loves them. went back to the range and used the same jeep hood and shot a 3. shot clover leaf you can cover with a penny and 2 i pulled off some being as i was shooting off a hood for goodness sakes. i left this barrel 26.5" and left the halfed assed target crown they put on it from the factory. i am dully impressed with it to say the least and i haven't even polished and blued the barrel yet and wouldn't be afraid to take it ELK elk hunting the way it is and it out shoots the Weatherby VGX i used to have in 7mm Rem mag. and it out shoots the .30-338 Shilen barrel i took off the action to put this cheapo barrel on for this experement. by the way the scope is an old Redfield tracker my brother in law gave me that h dropped off a cliff that is all dinged up on the eye piece and has numerous scratches in the eye piece optic as well. my price on the A&B barrel blanks are about $67 and for the money it shoots as good as barrels 3 that cost 3 times more. and as far as having to dial a barrel in within 1/10,000th of an inch or it won't shoot. BULLSHIT save that crap to impress someone that doesn't know any better.
I have use A&B Barrels as well with great results,i was told,and don,t know if it is true tha tA&B barrels are Shaw seconds! Anybody heard of this? van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a recent Shotgun news ad, Numrich was selling A&B barrels. In that ad they stated the barrels were made by Green Mountain.

Sam B.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read and heard from other gunmakers (boy, there are two reliable sources of information!) that the A&B barrels are seconds from many different manufacturers. If some one has a barrel tha does not bmeet their specs but may be useable, then A&B buys them and sells them as Adams & Bennets. Sounds like a reasonable enough story to me. So yes, they could be Green River, Douglas, Shaw, whatever.

FWIW, I have seen some that shot very well, soem that shot OK, and a couple that would nto shoot at all. To a barrel, they were all extreme foulers. Internal surface finish was never that great, but this may or may not be that big of a deal, depending on your end useage

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Marc is right..no tellin where they come from.

I have 5, 4 centerfire and one 10/22 0.92 16" and they all shoot pretty well...under MOA with the right loads.

The biggest appeal to me is they are cheap and when/if I find one that doesn't shoot well, I can use it for a tomato stake and not feel bad about it...so far so good!!

Merry Christmas to everone!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark d. skaggs:
well the hell of it is i have a buddy that lets me use his ranch down the road a piece to fire off all the rifles i build for customers and i set up a range with 100 and 200 and 300 yard markers to shoot from so i just left my nice bench i built and my targets down there and his damned cows had their way with them and flattened them. so until the weather gets better and i can build new benches and targets i guess i'll be shooting off the hood of the jeep. i had a buddy that was shooting at a coyote leaning across a hood on a new ford bronco with a .300 weatherby shoot thru our other buddys hood not paying attention left a streak across the hood until it went thru and took out the battery and a big hole out the fender!!!!! GOD that was funny.

Its impressive to see what muzzle brakes can do to a windshield when shot that way too. Had a friend shatter his with a brand new 338-378 shot across his Suburban. Funny part was we warned him and he thought we were pulling his chain.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as far as the people who make A&B barrels!!!! i will say this! i ordered some 6.5 barrel blanks for some greek mannlichers i had come in here for re-barreling. i ordered them from James at Sporter express at one time he could give me a better price than Midway!!! they got wind of that and signed an exclusive with A&B and upped his price to me!!! BUMMER. well anyway i was informed that the barrels were on back order after a few months i started asking where they were? James called Battenfield tech. the owners of Midway!!!. they by accident sent him an inter-office memo that said they expected the barrels to be delivered by their vendor GREEN MOUNTAIN on a certain date. i have also confirmed this thru Timney triggers when i called them about a problem i had with a trigger!!!! and they also make Knight rifles etc.and a few other products that slip my mind at this time. i took one of these barrels over to the barrel maker across the road from me C.P. Donnelly who makes Viktor barrels he looked at a .257 blank i had brought over to him to take a gander at and tell me what he thought? he said they looked good to him!!!!! as far as fouling goes i have a Shilen 8 groove here in .30-338 that after cleaning with Butches and Bore Scrubber and Blue Wonder and Shooters Choice still holds as much copper as the A&B does. has anyone else heard there are some problems going on at Shilen? i hear there is some problems going on there due to Family problems and it's effecting their quality. i heard this from the TECH line at Brownells and have heard this from numerous other persons in the know and have seen it first hand on the last few barrels i have used from them. the last being a .375 H&H i made from a blank and when i dialed indicated it in the ID was in no way concentric with the OD it was .008 out and i have never had that problem with Douglas and i will be using them exclusivly from now on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A&B barrels are made by Green Mountain, I heard their 2nds are sold to Lothar Walther lol

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I've only used one A&B so far and it's the one that Mr Skaggs installed for me. I'm very happy with it, and will be ordering more in the future.

I don't bekieve the A&B's are really true "seconds" in that they didn't meet some quality standard, becasue I don't believe that any barrel manufacture could stay in business if their processes or machinery was so bad they produced that many "seconds". I do believe that Midway specs probably skip one or 2 QC steps to keep the mfg cost down. Most likely this results in barrels that are just as good as the 1st line barrels but aren't inspected and tested as carefully.

Weagle.

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote