New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon, huh?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have about fifteen cartridge cases to be turned into Hornady style Chamber All cases.
The drill bit is.290" (letter size "L"). The tap size is the oddball 5/16-36."

I looked at the usual suspects - NADA. Eventually I stumbled onto Amazon - Voila! I have four drill bits and two taps enroute. Since I also popped for a Wheeler FAT torque screwdriver (at a reasonable price), there was no cost for shipping.

I am happy, but still shaking my head at the deal. I used to buy books from them. Hell, I almost popped for Devcon Steel putty epoxy bedding compound until I remembered that I already had a kit.

What's next, gun parts?

On this picture of two F-4E jets climbing at sunset, you can see some dim green bars of light. Those bars connected to a rheostat in the cockpit to adjust level of brightness to suit ambient light conditions. I flew across the Atlantic for six hours in the murk, at night, in 1986. All I saw until dawn were the green bars on my flight lead's jet. Must have sweated two quarts, despite the cool interior of the cockpit.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Fabulous Phantom photo. I crewed D-models and ran an AMU of slatted, TISEO equipped Es. Seems like yesterday...

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photo Lawndart. I never rode in one, but I watched hundreds of F-4 Phantoms take off from the flight deck of the USS Independence CV-62 for 2 1/2 years. It never ceased to amaze me how those guys could thread the needle (so to speak) by putting one of those things safely down on the 2 wire on a small flight deck that was bouncing up an down in 5-10 foot waves.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for your service,

I was just a stick actuating unit. My one small claim to demi-fame was that I was an aviation cadet. Two years of college, two butter bars, and off to Willy AFB. The cockpit environment was actually pretty violent. Thank God for my cast-iron stomach. That airplane was a maintenance hog. I don't know how you guys kept them ready to go so often. I made a lot of post maintenance test flights. Most went smoothly, but a few are engraved in my memory. I was also a mustang officer, after almost six years of enlisted Army time.

Flights like the one pictured made up for the ongoing aircrew harassment program. Nothing like taking off before dawn, and flying up into the sunlight. Even in the Cold War, plenty of guys got killed, usually due to pilot error, or more properly due to Deputy Commander for Operations' committing negligent homicide by launching flights into thunderstorms.

Just want you guys to know how much I appreciated, and was grateful for, your hard work.

My first wife, in home economics class.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My old boss checked into the squadron at 4'11 and 93 pounds. Cute as button blond who is about the nicest person I have ever met. Both her and her husband are hornet jockeys, he's a test pilot. She had several hundred hours in the F/A-18C and was liking but not loving the Rhino.

She fought a Top Gun grad National Guard guy in a F-22 and her in the Rhino and didn't get schooled as bad as she told me she thought she would.

Even the new kids have a love affair with their original bird.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote