New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage M720 Shotgun choke removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Savage Model 720 shotgun US marked that someone has installed a Weaver choke on. The choke is aluminum. It looks like an original short barrel as it is also US marked. Question is how are these chokes installed. being al it most likely was not soldered so either screwed on or some kind of adhesive used?. I need to get the choke off with out damage to the barrel. Has anyone an idea???
Since I don't want the choke body damaging it is not a problem. Damaging the barrel would be.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot the messenger, but here's a link with someone asking the same question:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bb...ic.php?f=12&t=106039

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark
Got it, but this one needs to be returned to as near as original as possible without that big gob of aluminum hanging on the end of the barrel.
Don't worry I haven't shot a messenger in over 20 years. old

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, remove the bead in case it protrudes into the thread, warm them up to soften the glue and lock an ER40 on them and screw them off.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Speerchucker
Your instructions were spot on. I made a new bushing for the vise and used my 1 1/32 5C collet in the hex adapter and with a small amount of heat turned right off no damage.
Thanks

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member