Find
Notify
Tools

H&R Ultra rifle?'s
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted
I just picked up one in .30-06, will a GS be able to build a .300H&H or is the action just too short? I know there will need to be modifications, if possible, just wondering.

Thanks,

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I do not see the action being too short, but I am curious to see if the mechanics of the extractor can handle a belted cartridge.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Which H&R Ultra is it? The 40 + year old bolt action one, or the current single shot?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have an H&R ultra rifle in 7MM Rem.Mag it is a sweet little rifle, A Manlicher, real light so I reload for it more to the 7x57 side of the spectrum. I don't know if the action is long enough for the 300 H&H. I built a 300 H&H on a Montana long action, with their barrel Works GREAT!

Posts: 63 | Location: Fla. | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
It is the bolt action.

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well you learn something new every day! I wasn't aware that H&R had another action named Ultra other than the single shot break action.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, you just ain't old enough! It was basically an FN commercial action with, as I remember, a flattened bolt knob and rather racy stock styling a la almost Weatherby. The example I remember handling had an alloy hinged floorplate but I've got CRS bad...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well you learn something new every day! I wasn't aware that H&R had another action named Ultra other than the single shot break action.

I think Marlin marketed an FN back in the day; I had a Browning by Sako, at one time, also- a fine rifle, too.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, at one time Marlin also marketed a Sako, the old L-46 222 Rem with the separate magazine and bolt-sleeve safety. Many of the limited-production makers of the day used both FNs and Sakos for different-sized cartridges and I believe H&R's Ultrarifle series was one of them.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Right on, J.D.

I don't recall H&R making any of the "long" magnums in the "Ultra" series though....that is, in the .300 H&H or .375 H&H.

That doesn't mean the action & magazine box couldn't be slightly modified for those cartridges though...just as H&H used to do for its Mauser actioned turn-bolts.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Believe it or not, at one time Marlin also marketed a Sako

-this may be what is in the back of my memory- I wouldn't take my FN/Marlin to the bank just yetSmiler

I think Ithaca marketed a bolt action centerfire, too.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sactoller:
I just picked up one in .30-06, will a GS be able to build a .300H&H or is the action just too short? I know there will need to be modifications, if possible, just wondering.

Thanks,
There were two different actions used by H$R for these rifles in the "long" calibers: One was an FN Mauser and the other was the Sako L61R.

The Sako L61R is equipped in all calibers with a 3.6" magazine and is fairly easily converted to a cartridge like .300 H&H. The FN Mauser had a shorter magazine of around 3.3" and requires expanding the magazine box as well as opening the bolt face. The box expansion can be complicated in that it may be necessary to do it toward the front by shortening the feed ramp, which also reduces the metal behind the lower (right hand) locking lug. Either action will require some magazine feed rail work if it started life as an '06.

Either conversion can be done. The Sako is easier. Easier still is starting out with an action for a belted magnum caliber. If you can find such in a Sako L61R/A-III/A-V, it will require nothing but a properly installed barrel.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote