Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Can anyone tell me about the quality of their rifle barrels? I have heard of the .45ACP barrels but didn't know they made rifle barrels.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have one on an AR15 that shoots really well, with the right loads it is .75-.5"
I bought a 9.3x62 barrel on Ebay or Gunbroker 20" lightweight short chambered that was referred to as a "Wilson air gauged" barrel. For a short and very thin barrel it shoots pretty damn good too.
This is my only experience with them.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Wilson that's famous for 1911 parts and work is not the same company as Wilson Arms who manufacture rifled barrels that you might find on e-bay.

Posts: 699 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
The Wilson that's famous for 1911 parts and work is not the same company as Wilson Arms who manufacture rifled barrels that you might find on e-bay.

Thanks. Brownell's even lists them together. They don't say they are the same company but they don't say they're different either as far as I can see. Let the buyer beware?

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Wilson Arms owns Cooper and Cooper uses those barrels. I used several when I went to gunsmithing school 23-24 yrs ago and they shoot well. We had to hand lap them, then. But I think they sell barrels lapped at the factory now. I call them a "medium" grade barrel. Not a Krieger, Bartlein or Hart, but 'usable' on a simple hunting rig. Another that looks promising in the "medium" grade category is X-Caliber. I rebarreled a Mauser using one of their CM blanks (a .25 w/1-9 twist) but haven't had the time to shoot it yet. It chambered nicely (.257 Rob A.I.). I just finished opening the barrel channel a couple of days ago. I bore scoped it before chambering and it is hand lapped. Again, not a Krieger, but by 'looks' will probably make a good 'hunting' barrel.

Posts: 699 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
That gets to the heart of the issue. I am fine with that.

Thanks.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
Last month I earned my Distinguished Rifleman Badge with a Wilson barrel on my AR15 service rifle. They are good for 2500 to 3000 shots.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Good for you, Recoil. I know how difficult that is. Not that I have one, but I did compete for a while and earned an EIC before I stopped. The Distinguished takes some very hard work. Excellent endorsement. tu2

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote