New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunstock finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone who works with rifle stocks know for sure what finish winchester used on their post-1964 Model 70 rifles? I have just bought a post-1964 M70 that is badly in need of refinishing. No major gouges or cracks but an abundance of scratches and rubbed spots. Thanks for any information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea exactly what was used, but appears, and acts like a poly varnish. Why not refinsh with a fine oil finish? Or you can buy a pre-64 kit if you like the style of the earlier rifles. If you want to touch up the existing stock you might try a steel wool rub down and then some wipe on poly like Minwax. I would much rather refinish a well scratched stock than try a touch up. I know this doesn't fully answer your question, but your question seemed to languish.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I learned a long time ago that a touch-up job on a stock was usually a waste of time. I am not familiar with refinishing kits for post-64 M70's. Where can I buy one? I have three other post-64 M70s in various calibers and they are in good shape with the original finish intact so I would like to refinish this one to math those as closely as possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am unaware of any post-64 refinishing kit. What you may want to do is look at some stain that will closely match and use a Minwax wipe on poly in either gloss or satin. I like oil finishes and only use wipe on poly on some furniture pojects. This should not be too difficult since the finishes were not all that well done.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a 100 % certain but If my memory serves me I believe they were Nitrocellulose Lacquer finished .

The barreled action is finished in a polished blue, and the black walnut stock wears its original gloss lacquer finish.

I checked Chuck Hawks site and came away with the above quote .

I refinished one for a fellow Way Way back and used Mohawk coating materials ( back then was able to get Nitro

lacquer . New furniture catalyzed lacquer should work just fine . If it's to glossy rub it down a little .

High Gloss imparts the most durable of finishes . http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/ BOL ...

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote