THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a gunsmith to repair a Savage bolt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted
I know nothing about Savages. All my custom rifles are on custom actions or Remington 700's. I had a friend talk me into using a Savage action off of a Model 110 7mm Magnum for testing some of my wildcat chamberings before I build a customs due to the ease of being able to change barrels out myself.

With that said, I need to have the "Ejector" repaired or replaced. While testing loads in my 6.5 Badger chambering(6.5-.338 Ultra Magnum/ 40 degree shoulder). I had a "Warm" load trash the ejector. I also need another complete bolt head assembly in a standard bolt face for the .308/30-06 size case heads. So I can swap them out depending on the chambering of the barrel I'm installing on the action.

Please PM me if you could help me with this.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is very easy to do your self they are held in the slot by a spring and a ball.

I believe Brownells carry them.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...actor-prod12817.aspx

I carry a couple on every p dog trip after losing one the first time I went.

There are several you tubes on how to do it.

Again it is easy

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The EXTRACTOR is held by a spring and ball. The EJECTOR is held by a cross pin and spring.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I get for reading to fast

Still a easy fix you tubes on doing that also

Brownells has them all so

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...ector-prod12814.aspx

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Sharp Shooter supply has them also. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

The bolt head is easily repaired or changed, even I can do it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. After reading some of the responses, I grabbed my dremel and dove into the bolt head. The ejector had been blown back and jammed bellow the surface of the bolt face by a blown primer while working up loads for my 6.5 Badger. I ended up backing the load down a little. I settled on 94.5gr of US869 which launches a 6.5 160gr MATRIX VLD bullet at 3460fps!

I took the dremel and drilled away/out what was left of the ejector jammed bellow the surface of the bolt face. A couple stiff bumps on the shop concrete floor and what was left of the ejector and ejector spring dropped out. A quick trip to Midway on the iPhone and $15.00 bucks later, including shipping Smiler))) the new ejector and spring are on the way.

And of course some credit goes to YouTube for the great videos on bolt disassembly.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote