THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Are Friction Adjusted 2.5x compact leupolds 1/4 adjust at 100 yards

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Friction Adjusted 2.5x compact leupolds 1/4 adjust at 100 yards
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering because I read here on this forum that they might not have been. I am interested in being able to wind my 2.5x up or down depending on if I shoot 300 grainers or 405 grainers in my 45/70.

Currently the 400 gr speers & 405 woodeleighs are 6" lower at 70 yards that the sierra 300gr HPFN's I shoot.

Leupold are reliable enough that you should be able to wind between the two settings and pretty well keep POI arn't they??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
The numbered marks are in MOA (approximately). They are very repeatable in my experience, but I wouldn't want to be winding them around all day. I always make th last adjustment in the same direction, so the lash is the same. (I always go past, if necessary, then turn in the arrow direction to the final setting.)

If you changed them once a week they'd probably last a lifetime.

If it's more than a full round, though, you're asking for trouble by "operator error."

I'll bet you can get the loads closer than that with a little work.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Don, the loads with a bit of fiddling could probably be bought closer, I would not even be changing them once a week, it would more likely be 4-5 times a year. I was thinking of making a felt tip pen marking on the two spots for the different loads. I was thinking that for some bigger stuff the 300 gr sierra just opens a litle to quickly.

<eldeguello>
posted
The graduations on low powered friction adjustable Leupolds, are 1" between each line.

<Rich>
posted
Premier Reticles will convert your friction adjusters to the VX-III style 1/4 click if you want something a little more positive, fairly inexpensive too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eldeguello, I take it you mean the larger lines not the smaller markings in between ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had several of the 2.5 Leupold Compacts (and like them), but I can't tell you what the graduations represent. All I can tell you is that a LITTLE movement moves bullet impact a LONG way. Don't rely on the "specs" when adjusting your scope. Do it by actual shooting.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
Premier Reticles will convert your friction adjusters to the VX-III style 1/4 click if you want something a little more positive, fairly inexpensive too.

The premier reticles click turrets are 1/2", not 1/4" per click. I put a few rounds down range before figuring it out, and mine is 2.5X compact, also w/ a 4a reticle change. Great little scope.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are agreat scope, the one I put on my 45/70 was ment for my .585 but I thought that one of these scopes is ideal for my 45/70 and a little more versatile than the red dot sight I had on it previuosly.