New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW COLD BLUE ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There are some "new" cold blues out there these days like, Shooters Solutions, Vans Gun Blue, and Pro Blue. They say they are better than any of the old cold blue. Has anybody used these ?
Thanks

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They all are basically surface colorants. Oxpho by Brownells does lay down a phosphatized base. None are worth the effort in my opinion, unless you are just touching-up a cheap gun for sale.

I learned long ago that for all the trouble and gyrations folks go to to cold blue, they could rust blue and have the finest black oxide finish known. For a few dollars and commonly available items, you can do this on your kitchen stove or outdoor cooktop. I make a solution that will rust blue an entire bolt gun in a day; with only 1-2 hrs spent actually doing any work.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
They all are basically surface colorants. Oxpho by Brownells does lay down a phosphatized base. None are worth the effort in my opinion, unless you are just touching-up a cheap gun for sale.

I learned long ago that for all the trouble and gyrations folks go to to cold blue, they could rust blue and have the finest black oxide

finish known. For a few dollars and commonly available items, you can do this on your kitchen stove or outdoor cooktop. I make a solution that will rust blue an entire bolt gun in a day; with only 1-2 hrs spent actually doing any work.

Amen: true! but having said that I bought a bottle about 4 years ago...make a slight slip of a screwdiver...tiny scratch...yeah, it will "cover up"

Other than that...all of them are pretty worthless

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amen: true! but having said that I bought a bottle about 4 years ago...make a slight slip of a screwdiver...tiny scratch...yeah, it will "cover up"

I have to agree that most of them are worthless, but one I do use for small touch ups is G96 (cream) cold blue. Have used it for years and works well enough, actually pretty dang good, I havent had to try anything else.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used most of them for touch up's only of course; but have found 'Vans' to work by far the best.
And, that's all I have to say about that!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also found the G96 creme to work surprisingly well!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1825 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all and to all a good night !

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote