New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechambering 22 hornet to 221 fireball?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone has done this? How far back did you have to set the barrel? Is there too much material to be removed by hand? I havent looked into the specs too much as of now, but one of those new Savage Model 40 rifles would be a whole lot sweeter if it were in 221. Thanks

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not been able to glean from the 2-3 articles I have read, exactly how the barrel is attached to the receiver on the Sav Mod 40.
While at the NRA Annual meeting exhibit, I remembered too late to see if they had one on display. Sure would have helped to see one up close!

Plus the cute little dual extractors for the Hornet rim may be a challenge to convert to the Fireball?

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I understand the barrel is a press fit into the receiver, perhaps the depth of fit is 1 1/2" and the bottom of the receiver is dovetailed at right angles to lock it together. the dovetail block itself is drilled and tapped to take the front receiver mounting screw.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was looking at the right dimensions, then the hornet case is .003" longer than the 221. Could I run the 221 chamber reamer through the action, leaving the barrel on, and then ream the chamber .003" longer than usual, and set my dies off of a fire case?

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I can't help you beyond the info above. I'm waiting to see the rifle details in person. Even then I would probably look at it from the Ackley Hornet aspect. I read of fantastic velocities from some fireballs but they are probably driving them at 60K. You know they could have brought it out in 223 for many more immediate sales, as that was hyped as one of the offerings initially. Where is the AR Savage guy when we need him?

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
but one of those new Savage Model 40 rifles would be a whole lot sweeter if it were in 221.

Why bother when a CZ 527 can be had in .221 Fireball for not much more money.