THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I need to learn everything I can about soldiering shotgun barrels together.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to learn everything I can about soldiering shotgun barrels together.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to get a double shotgun and attempt to regulate the barrels for slugs. I have the support of my friend who is a gun smith, and another friend who owns a huge machine shop.
I think in the end it will just come down to lots and lots of frustrating work, and rework.
It's been a while since I welded or soldiered.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a copy of "Gunsmithing", by Roy F. Dunlap. There's a lot shotgun info in it, including his method of soldering barrels.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd try a few different loads before firing up the torch.

But...if you really want to indulge in self punishment, I'd get the tape from ACGG "Gunsmithing techiques of Bill Nittler" He gives detailed drawings on his fixture for clamping ribs and barrels.

You may not have to get quite as fancy, but the idea is sound. I made my own, only welded the parts from bar stock rather than have them cast.

I've seen suggestions of wiring the parts together..believe me...make the fixtures! You can "tweak" to your heart's content prior to final joining...good luck!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely going to try to tune with loads before I start taking stuff apart.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
I'd try a few different loads before firing up the torch.

But...if you really want to indulge in self punishment, I'd get the tape from ACGG "Gunsmithing techiques of Bill Nittler" He gives detailed drawings on his fixture for clamping ribs and barrels.

You may not have to get quite as fancy, but the idea is sound. I made my own, only welded the parts from bar stock rather than have them cast.

I've seen suggestions of wiring the parts together..believe me...make the fixtures! You can "tweak" to your heart's content prior to final joining...good luck!

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
im not a machinist, or a gunsmith either.... but ive played with regulating my remington spr22... why not do something simple like they did???... use a barrel band to hold the barrels together at the muzzle, where 1 barrel is fixed, and 1 barrel slips.... then put a jackscrew system in the middle somewhere.... the #2 idea is to put a moveable regulaton wedge between the muzzles, like my chapuis DR....wedge it in and out... helluva lot simpler then soldering barrels back and forth... you can always make a filler strip to cover up the space between the barrels... don't re-invent the wheel....my $0.02 worth...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been discussing this with my machine shop friend. It has a lot of advantages.
But it also has a lot of work up front.

quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
im not a machinist, or a gunsmith either.... but ive played with regulating my remington spr22... why not do something simple like they did???... use a barrel band to hold the barrels together at the muzzle, where 1 barrel is fixed, and 1 barrel slips.... then put a jackscrew system in the middle somewhere.... the #2 idea is to put a moveable regulaton wedge between the muzzles, like my chapuis DR....wedge it in and out... helluva lot simpler then soldering barrels back and forth... you can always make a filler strip to cover up the space between the barrels... don't re-invent the wheel....my $0.02 worth...