Find
Notify
Tools

Making a double rifle from a 20ga ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Maybe I'm crazy but it's possible to make a pair of rifled barrels for switch them with the 20ga ??

I've a spanish shotgun in 20 ga (AYA)with two underbarrel locking lugs and a Greener type cross bolt.

Just for fun and for shooting at 30-50 metres, maybe in 30-30 or better in 444 marlin, it's possible ???, what about preassures??

Maybe I'm asking a silly question but is the only way to learn [Smile]

Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
There are rarely any truly stupid questions, and to double rifle fanciers there are none. My Browning Continental .30-06 /.30-06 is built on a 20 ga. frame, and I am quite sure that by keeping the caliber and pressure within reasonable limits a double could be built on a suitable side by side frame as well. I do believe that the calibers you mention would be reasonable in this regard. There are many technical aspects, but predominately it is the issue of saftey followed by the issue of cost which will ultimately answer this question. Good luck and good shooting.

[ 05-17-2003, 03:00: Message edited by: 308Sako ]

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Lorenzo--

That's a perfectly good conversion.......not cheap, but good.......you'll need bushed firing pins with a vent and keep the pressures low. 30-40 Krag, 9.3x72 and 47-70 are other good calibers.

<eldeguello>
posted
I think this is feasible, but the question is, how strong is the steel in these actions? You might have to limit such a rifle to cartridges that develop no more backthrust on the breech than a 20-ga. shotshell. Since anything up to a .45/70 has a lot less case-head area than a 20-ga shell, you could probably get away with a full-load in a .30/30, and medium power loads in the .45/70 or similar case. It would certainly hold a .45/120/500, if you used black powder or Pyrodex!!

[ 05-17-2003, 05:13: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a dbl. rifle on a 12 ga. spanish gun. Used two 303 bbls and regulated them for the 174 gr. Hornady. No one may believe it but it shoots 2 rights and 2 lefts into 3 1/2 inches at 100 yds. and will do right at 1 inch at 50. The host shotgun was a Noble with a double underlug and greener type crossbolt action. The load is kept fairly mild I think its somewhere around 44 grains of IMR 4350. I was well pleased with the results.
Doug

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

I have a hunting friend who has weighted a 20 ga double barrel shotgun to handle like his double rifle. He loads the shotgun with slugs and uses it for field practice, shooting at grapefruit and such.

Try that before you have the barrels made. [Wink]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having one built would cost you the next three or more years rent/mortgage money. Double rifles start at 10 grand US for junk. 50 grand plus is the norm. The SXS slug gun is the regular guy's way of having one. Cut off the chokes and even that should be done by somebody who knows how. SXS shotguns don't like being cut off without consideration for the rib that joins them.
Lorenzo, anything is possible with enough time and money. Mostly money.

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
It's a most common conversion, an economic alternative to a genuine double. Lots of gunsmiths here rebarrel 20 gauges (sleeving) in 8x57JRS or even 9,3x74R. However, while it can be done correctly (if rehardened for the higher pressures), most of the conversions are not on a par in terms of swear resistance (this may be a moot point to the occasional hunter who fires a few shots a year). If I remember right, even Browning uses a (hardened) 20 ga. receiver on it's Continental. However, the original CCS 25 "express" (as it's called) receiver is much superior. In rough state, it may start as a 20 ga. receiver but then, the bottom is not hollowed out (= more mass and rigidity) and it is properly heat treated to sustain rifle pressures.
 -

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OLA lORENZO
Why not buying a couple of full lengt insert barrels from germany(often very high quality) and make your shotgun to a double rifle in this case you don't need any alteration and you can regulate them to shoot together much easier.
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See the most recent issue of DoubleGun Journal. Fellow used an Aya(I think) to build a 12 bore rifle, used Hastings tubes. Wasn't that expensive either. Gun was regulated with sabots but after a bit of work shot exceptionally well with 12 bore round balls. Your project is doable. Fellow in YellowJacket, Co. named David Yale, SMT Inc. can do it for you. Check DGJ for ads or information for #. Luck.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!
Thanks a lot, very diverse and good ideas.
Thanks again
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago at the ACGG show we had a company with a commercial table selling "kits" to build double rifles. The cost for the double rifle in a box lock type action, with barrels monobloc and all the paraphenalia (sp?) was around $800. All the parts had to be fitted. You could get a 20 gauge set of barrels and block for around $300 more. It was interesting but after talking to some of the double gun smiths there,they said the work involved in getting it to function and done properly was a couple of thousand hours. A friend bought one but I haven't seen the finished product yet or even know if he started.

As far as building them from a 20 gauge, Rick Stickley did that routinely. He used to be in Idaho but have not heard where he is for some time. He was an extremeley gifted metalsmith.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Chic---

I'd be interested to know if the buyer of those parts ever got them...

I pre-paid for a bunch of buttpads and still don't have them. (16 months) I call every couple months or so to be sure there's somebody there. So-far there is.

<eldeguello>
posted
quote:
Having one built would cost you the next three or more years rent/mortgage money. Double rifles start at 10 grand US for junk.
Not necessarily!!

Contrary to what one might believe, there are excellent double rifles made elsewhere than in England. German, Austrian, Belgian, Italian and even Spanish double rifles can be outstanding, and several brands, such as Merkel and Krieghoff, etc., sell for a lot less than $10,000 NEW. And, in this country at least, there are a lot of older ones of various makes and calibers, including English ones, that can be had from $2500 to $7500. But yes, expect to pay over $25,000 for a pristine hammerless H&H, Purdey, Rigby, Westley Richards, etc. And a LOT more than $25,000 for a caliber like 577 Nitro or 600 Nitro (providing you can find one.

[ 05-18-2003, 23:03: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a gent down in Calgary who has built a couple on 12 gauge double frames. I think I'll have to get in touch with him, I have a Browning BSS sitting in the gun cabinet that I don't use much anymore. It would be a pretty good candidate for something like this, I think. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack, I gave him a call and he said he had not received it. He emails him on a regular basis. Their goods that were bought at the show are on a dock in London waiting an export permit. Problem is these guys did not have the license when they came to the show and BATF has been very slow in approving firearms import licenses since 9/11, also acording to the guy in Iowa or wherever they are.

quote:
Double rifles start at 10 grand US for junk.
I have had a look at Butch Searcy's rifles and his base rifle is around $7500 +/- and is very well done and is well received by a lot of folks here in this forum. They are made in California and at last glance it is still part of the U.S. I am not aware of what other manufacturers there are here in the United States or whether they are any good or not.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo

The company K&S offers insert barrels for 20ga up to 9,3x74R. Price is around Euro 1.000 per barrel.
Can be removed and installed without changing POI.

Here is the link: K&S

Franz

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi daydreamer
What would be the price of this nice things?
Danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo e-mail me it's OK in Spanish
[Smile]
Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny

Between Euro 750 to Euro 1000 - large caliber are on the Euro 1000 side. Don't know exactly what the 9,3x74r in 20ga costs.
This is including tax installation and proof house (out of a catalogue from a retailer in Austria).

Franz

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Franz
I found it very interesting but sending a gun via post is a difficult thing. it was much better if one could buy the barrel and install it at home. have you some more information abot twist rate in6,5x65r. sorry my german is not good and I coulddn't find information about twit rate in k&s website.
best regards
Danny