Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm WSM Pros and cons???
 Login/Join

posted
What are the pros and cons of the new wsm. Is their performance all that was promised? Accuracy? Lower recoil? Are there feeding problems and can those problems be successfully tuned out of an action?

I have searched the archives and haven't found threads that answer these questions. If there are, a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Location: Hyde Park, UT | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.shortmags.org

I have commented on the 7MM WSM here. Search again.

I have one on a M 70 SS Classic. The cartridge itself is a very good one but I am not sure it's going to catch on and I rail against that. I may be stuck with it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to the feeding I have to brag here. This new M70 was not perfect in it's bedding but it will feed empty cases out of it's magazine and do it with ease. Not only that but the bolt is as smooth as a slicked pre 64. The chamber and barrel are very smooth also so extraction even with hot loads is also excellent.

The cartridge got off to a late start due to the redesign as it was found out after the fact that the orginal one would chamber in 270 WSM's. Now the 7MM WSM is .035" longer to the shoulder so it will not. It's a little bit bigger case due to that and holds the same to the neck as a .300 WSM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Applicable to all of the WSM line:

Advantages: Can be fitted into a "short" (medium) length action, allowing guns of similar power to standard magnums to be approximately 3/4" shorter and 4-6 oz lighter.

Disadvantages: Magazine usually accepts one cartridge less than regular magnum and two less than '06-based cartridges. Factory ammunition is sometimes loaded to excessive pressures. At similar pressures, velocities are less than regular "short" magnums like 7mm Rem, .300 Win, etc. Ammunition is more expensive. Feeding can be difficult in some rifles.

While some claim that a shorter, fatter case is more conducive to pinpoint accuracy, there is essentially no difference in the accuracy potential of two cartridges in a hunting-style rifle. Also, some claim additional "efficiency" in the short, fat cartridges, but a standard .30-06 or .280 Remington is more efficienct still; it's simply a matter of less case capacity ALWAYS being more efficient in terms of muzzle energy per grain of powder. The WSM line is more efficient than regular belted magnums because their cases are smaller, not because of their shape.

A 7mm WSM will offer you practically the same performance as a 7mm Remington Magnum in a shorter action and slightly lighter gun. If this is important to you, then by all means get the WSM. You can get shorter and lighter still by using a single-shot action (and any cartridge), but your magazine capacity is then reduced to nil.

Buy the gun for the characteristics you want in the rifle, not for any perceived ballistic advantage of the cartridge.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget safety. The WSM's offer the chance to get out of the danger of handloading the belted case.

For those that shoot factory ammo this does not matter much but a head separation caused by the incorrect design of belted cases is far more important than another shot!

www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004190#000000