New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning up an old stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a few old shotguns that need a little TLC, the metal parts I think I can handle with some oil and 0000 steel wool, however the wood I'm not so sure about.
I do not want to refinish them if I can avoid it, so any good ideas on just giving the finished wood a good cleaning without messing with the said finish?

Posts: 39 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My novice opinion is to just stay away from soap and any heat as in steam or hot tap water. My experience has been that both will wash out the finish. Next time I'm going to try a ten minute soak of some olive oil and a scrub with a fine bristle vegetable brush followed by a rub down with a terry cloth towel. Oil soaks up a lot of dirt without harming the finish. We used to clean up engine compartments with oil. It worked quite well. So, it might be worth a try. Good luck.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hoppes #9 and scrubbing very lightly with 0000 steel wool, wiping off with a paper towel as I went.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://kottonklenser.com/ I bought one of these kits originaly designed for cleaning antique clocks. Have cleaned several 150 year old guns and is one product that I can say has exceeded my expectations, good stuff. Just follow the directions included with the kit.
m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Gentle rubbing with thinned linseed oil on paper towels will get a lot of grime off. Even dish soap and warm water shouldn't harm an old finish, if done gently, and not left on longer that 5 minutes. Toothbrush for checkering, dry immediately. Flaked varnish finishes will not work well with the oil treatment. Just water with a few drops of detergent is the safest.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys!!

Posts: 39 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James, over on Double Gun Shop in the classic rifle section, Michael Petrov talks about using raw linseed oil for cleaning the stocks on the classics he collects. I've tried it once and it does a good job. He rubs it off and there is a current thread where he is blending in some of the finish on a new acquisition as he cleans it. Good before and after pictures.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://kottonklenser.com/ I bought one of these kits originaly designed for cleaning antique clocks. Have cleaned several 150 year old guns and is one product that I can say has exceeded my expectations, good stuff. Just follow the directions included with the kit.

+1

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use furniture polish cleaner, it works as well as anything..but cleaning up an old stock is second to refinishing it back to original, being sure to use the same finish..I have restored many old worn out H&H, Rigby, and Wesley Richards rifles to original.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42153 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote