THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Savage? (Was: Ruger M77 .308 --> ???)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Big-Ed,

Most people that don't like the savage are probably embarrassed that their custom doesn't shoot as well,they are
heavy/unrefined/ and have shit trigger!on the other hand they are deadly accurate and reliable.if you should tire of its beauty you can always use it to knock fence posts in!!!

We had a customer in the shop over christmas who came out with a good saying after we discussed the rebarrelling of a CZ550, "you can't polish a turd".
no matter what you do to your savage, plastic stock, trigger etc it will still be a savage.

one other consideration is that some smiths will be reluctant to re-chamber used barrells.

good luck

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savages aren't considered "pretty" by the gun snobs, but they make a damn good rifle for the money. I've never had one (and I have a few) that didn't shoot well. I think they are a great value for the dollar, and if you're into caliber chnages and switch barrels, Savage makes this very easy. As for the stainless issue, if you aren't concerned about moisture and rust, then it is indeed, just a question of "looks". FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
My definition of a 'pretty' gun is one that makes very tiny groups of holes in paper and very large holes in animals

Nice to know they are not difficult to get rebarreled.

I've never had a Savage, but I have heard good things about them. I wanted a 'gunsmith' opinion since I am planning on having work done on it later. Thanks

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Big E. I sent you a PM regards a Savage for sale on another Board. Comes with 2 barrels, one in 270-08 AI.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote