Find
Notify
Tools

peruvian light 270
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
Here's an idea. Take that Peruvian and machine it down to a small ring. I'm pretty sure one can do that when you have the .980x12 thread.
Make a set of bases that look like square bridges. Stock it with a lustfully sick piece of figured Turkish walnut. Make it a 270 Win.
You'll need to open the magwell a touch to do this. Make the stock so it's a blind alpine stlye. Heal and toe caps or skeleton butt plate
and skeleton grip cap. Neider blue the bolt stop
flush mount sling swivels. color case the rings the safety the grip cap the buttplate the trigger guard. Maybe skip the front swivel and go with barrel band. Have a banded ramp front sight, a small one like a little Westley R. that flips the hood open. fully adjustable flip up peep that comes up out of the rear base.when you take the scope off jeweled bolt jeweled follower. That could be one kick ass rifle.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone made one like this? I’m particularly interested in comments on machining the action to small ring diameter. Sounds like something I’d love done for a 257 Roberts.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
Anyone made one like this? I’m particularly interested in comments on machining the action to small ring diameter. Sounds like something I’d love done for a 257 Roberts.

cheers,
- stu

Stu,
A lot of the turk mausers have the small ring threads, there a lot more abundant than Peruvians.
It should'nt be to difficult to machine the barrel boss down ,and then of course you would want to get it surface ground and reheat treated.

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have a 1954 Mexican Mauser action. It is small ring intermediate length but has a full length magazine box, unlike other small ring Mexicans, originally chambered for 30-06. I suppose it could be used to accomplish the same thing.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
It would be fun quick project 30 to 40 hrs. A lot quicker than making an action from barstock.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just use a G.33/40?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Two reasons come to mind, cost & availability. These are certainly motivating factors when contemplating such alterations. Also, the g33/40 nice as it is does not have the high charger hump.

Caution should be excercised when contemplating this alteration as not all SR threaded 98 Turks will lend themselves to it. Many will end up with too little metal in critical areas afterward.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, by the time Timan gets done performing all of those operations on that Peruvian its going to cost just as much as a G.33/40 and somehow I don't see a bunch of Peruvian actions being all that avaialable either unless I am missing something.

Anybody know where I can get a few??????

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
22wrf,

I think you are missing the point. In the case of the Peruvian it is the unique charger hump that attracts most people. Well, that and the fine quality. It would be even more attractive (read that, neater) if it were of small ring proportions. These proportions lend themselves to building of nicely balanced light weight rifles that are aesthetically pleasing.

The Turks are plentiful and some are near clones of the Peruvian. However, my caveat applies.

Custom rifle building is not about pinching pennies, rather it is about getting things the way you want.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZLR

I got your point. I just don't see all that much in those Peruvian charger humps and would probably cut them off, which is why I suggested the small ring to start with.

Each to his own I guess.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
ZLR

I got your point. I just don't see all that much in those Peruvian charger humps and would probably cut them off, which is why I suggested the small ring to start with.

Each to his own I guess.

In that case, the G33/40 is for you.

Those that do like them and would like a more svelte rifle can see the merit. Tom takes a different appraoch and ovalises the front ring. Apparently I am not alone in my appreciation of the action and what can be done to it.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

OK. But how about an HVA action? It's cheaper
and the work is already done.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I saw one in Guns magazine a long while back. I think it's a Dressel rifle. A squared up Mauser ala Browning A-Bolt profile with a blind box and steel triggerguard finished in the white.

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
how about just buying a new kimber instead.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:

Good idea, cc.

clap

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Buy a kimber? that would be far to easy. After all this is the gunsmithing part of the forum.
Timan